Opinion's on Yanmar VIO35

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cddva, Feb 16, 2008.

1. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

I've been debating the purchase of a mini-ex off and on for two years. The used machine prices, for a good low hour 3.5-4 ton machine, always seemed just a little out of reach for me as a part-timer. My local ASV/YANMAR dealer has an 07 VIO35 rental unit w/ 266 hours for 25K. I checked it out and other than a small chunk and minor cuts in the tracks it looks and feels in very good shape (as it should for a low hour machine). It also has over two years of warranty left on it. I'm seriously considering purchasing this machine. I'm interested in hearing opinion's or actual user feedback on the machine. Thanks.
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've spent a lot of time in a Vio55 and a little time in the 45. Pretty good machines, easy to maintain and they seem to be reliable. I think there are other machines that may spec a little better, but the Yanmar's are pretty good machines. Price is right, that's not a bad deal at all.
  3. jrdean62

jrdean62 LawnSite Member

Yanmars are great machines. The company I work for sells and rents these machines and they are very reliable. That is a great price for that machine. Don't get to hung up on the spec sheets. The Yanmar company is very conservative when it comes to rating their machines. One of the benefits of a Yanmar is that the hydralic quick coupler comes standard where this is an option on most if not all other companies machines. You will not be disappointed in this machine. We have some used ones as well if you wanted to compare some other prices. I will post them here on Monday morning when I get to the office.
  4. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

After two years of "shopping", I feel like the price is right on this one and with the warranty it's almost a can't lose deal. I also like the idea of buying locally from a dealer who has provided good service for my RC50, even though I didn't purchase it from them. The specs was one area that concerned me, especially the breakout force. I asked my salesman about it and he basically reiterated what your saying, they spec them very conservatively and he said it's not really an apples to apples comparison on the breakout force. I demo'ed it on their lot and it felt pretty strong digging (although the ground here isn't too hard right now). The Yanmar does appear to be a well engineered machine with more added standard details than you see on the other brands.
    jrdean62, what size bucket is mostly commonly sold or recommended for the VIO35? Also, I would really like to add a hydraulic thumb on this machine. What is a reasonable price to pay to have one added with the purchase? One other question, what model year did they move the exhaust up to the right of the cab? I had thought that was an 07 change but supposedly this machine is an 07 and the exhaust is still down on the left rear of the machine (which is fine by me). I must not have all my facts straight or it was a mid-year change? Thanks for all the info.
  5. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

I have a vio 35 and it a great unit .It digs very fast and the power is great. There are three H pumps and you just work both boom pumps together and you have lots of power .I roll very large rocks around every day . In NY where i work we have all rock and the 35 works good. I have a 20" bucket and get about 2 yards of dirt in 15 throws. I would like a vio 50 but then i couldn't fit in small spots and i would need a larger truck trailer cdl ect.I do have a oil leak if i run full boar . I cant see where its coming from but i will have to start looking. john
  6. fhdesign

fhdesign LawnSite Member

I ran a new vio35 a lot this past summer, no problems at all. If you're comfortable with the dealer I think it's a good choice, and the quick coupler worked great.
  7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Bucket sizes that are used most are 24" and 36". As far as a thumb goes, there are two basic designs to choose from: solid and tined. I personally prefer the solid thumb for my job applications. Thumbs come in weld-on fixed (least expensive and least useful in my opinion), direct link ( with a hydraulic cylinder) and progressive link ( hydraulic cylinder with more linkage with greater rotation). If I was to choose one for general purpose use it would be a direct link and the thumb design ( tined or solid) would depend upon what you envision most jobs would be.
  8. jrdean62

jrdean62 LawnSite Member

There are several choices in bucket size. We run anywhere from an 18" to a 30" bucket on this model. It all depends on what you will be using it for. The 30" bucket works great for digging and it cuts down the time it takes to backfill a trench. The thumb you are asking about probably will be around $5,000 give or take and it also depends on who installs it. TAG makes a great thumb kit. I will have to get back to you on the exhaust. You have made some great choices in machinery. You can't go wrong with ASV or Yanmar.
  9. Dougster

Dougster LawnSite Member

Just bought a used 2004 VIO35-3 myself. The 20" original bucket is beyond repair and I need a hydraulic thumb. I found your posts very helpful. I am debating bucket size and don't know which would be best for my specialties of rock and stump removal. The 20" stock Yanmar bucket is wide enough but awfully shallow... far more shallow than the 18" bucket on my Bradco 509. Does anyone know if the TAG buckets are generally deeper?

For large rock removals, I'm thinking that a 30" bucket is best in combo with a hydraulic thumb even if somewhat shallow. Does that make sense?

For stump digging/pulling, I probably need a narrower bucket... also to be used in combo with the thumb.

I am hoping to buy a thumb kit for a lot less than $5,000... but I am already finding that the cheaper "generics" don't fit because of the coupler. As you point out: TAG makes a thumb kit and I believe it is $2K and change. Which thumb is $5K? Is that a progressive link set-up???

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The HPF thumb for my TK 153 was 5K. That was just the thumb not installation as I recall. It is progressive link. Great looking thumb. There is a guy on here who has one a 35 size Deere. I just could not spend that much on a thumb and I wanted one that tucked up tight against the stick and was narrow. I along with RSG both have the WB thumb, I also have the mech. coupler from WB. I like the solid thumb as well. If I was doing alot of clearing I would probably go with a tine, but for setting rocks and pulling concrete I like the solid thumb. Best of all it does not impede digging.