1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on your best power equipment by category

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hughmcjr, May 13, 2007.

1. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

After 15 years of being in business I believe I have found what I believe is best and works best for me and what I do. I am listing by category and welcome others to share what they feel is the best and works the best for them. I have owned and used almost all products from Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa, Red Max, Toro, Tanaka, and more. My opinions are based on reliability in terms of easy starting and guaranteed starting, how they actually perform on the job to make it easier, finish quality and durability.

21in walk behind mower: Toro 2 cycle commercial with Suzuki engine---. Sad to see you go :cry:

Trimmer/weedeater: Schindaiwa T260---> maybe most reliable starting of any equipment I own.

WB Edger: 2 cycle Tanaka rips through stuff like no other

Hedge trimmer: 40 inch Red Max.<-- best by far over ANY and best blades too

Back pack Blower: Red Max ANY

Chain Saw: Stihl

36 inch walk behind: Scag

ZTR mower: Hustler Super Z

WB Rototiller:Troy bilt

Power pole pruner: I have only owned and used Stihl and although it works well, it is NOT my most reliable in terms of starting or my favorite piece of equipment.

Overall as far as engines go, I would have to say Honda does make one of the best, but any of the engines on the equipment listed above are excellent.

Please let me know what works best for you and feel free to add other categories I may have left out.

2. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

BP Blower: Husqy

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

You know redmax gets bashed by some but to me the trimmers blowers and hedge clippers work.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't like bashing per se, thou I do find homeowner line of equipment tends to fail prematurely, I think our minds play us off too, and closes our minds to the possibilities...

Say for instance I have a friend who has for years always said he hates 'brand x,' and one day I try out a brand x and something stupid goes wrong and yup, uh-huh, he was right, brand x is a piece of crap... I may have just closed myself off in a bad way, by being such a redneck (well yeah you know) I limit my own possibilities, there is probably nothing wrong with it, I'm just not used to it...

I do find if I find a brand I like, sticking with a brand can be helpful because they all have their own characteristics... And over time one becomes used to these characteristics, and it makes it easier to deal with the pita aspect when it comes around, a brand x saw will likely act similar to a brand x trimmer, when they foul up it's usually in the same ways thus so is the fix.
    So, once I get used to the nuances of brand x, then I've learned the workarounds...
    One example is it took me a year to learn how to start my handheld blower in 1 pull, but the trick works for any of my brand x equipment, yet it doesn't work for other brands, but it doesn't mean other brands are pieces of crap, I'm just not willing to re-learn myself.

Brand loyalty does have its merits, find one you like, stick with it...
    In my case it's some accident, some coincidence, my dealer carries a limited number of brands.
    It gets to a point, I even have make and model loyalty, within the brand I prefer certain models over others.

I like Stihl for 2-cyclers, have no problems with Echo but for me again I stick to a brand so stihl it is.
    Toro for Wb's, if only for those T-bars, but it is a good mower... The 48" fixed deck is it for me.
    Kohler for engines, always kohlers for me.
    And Everride for Z.

Again, not to say that every other brand is a piece of crap, it's just what I've grown to like, also what I am used to dealing with.