Opinions please! Toro Model Z441

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grits, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I am thinking about getting the Toro Z441 52". Just looking for some opinions on this mower. If I get it....it will be right before the season kicks off next year. Thanks!

2. SKAPES

SKAPES LawnSite Member

:clapping: Dont be afraid :cool2:

3. Grits

from Florida

Shoot. I ain't skeered! :laugh:

I'm sure it is a good mower, just looking for opinions.

4. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

I have a 48/23 Kaw with 30 hours on it. I tested quite a few different manufacture models and this one was a fit for me. Comfortable ride, good power, and clean cut. If you go this route, opt for the seat upgrade (I believe it's free on promo right now), makes the ride even better.

5. Grits

from Florida

I was thinking of the seat upgrade, but I think it ended at the end of July. BUt they are always running something like that. I do plan on getting the OCDC option with it.
    I cut mainly St. Augustine and Centipede. Is this the same you cut?

6. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Casey,

I was looking at the Z340 and liked it lots but ended up buying a Husky IZ4217 instead. I can't compare it to anything else but I sure can cut anything but a straight line now. The only mod so far (and it's the bomb) is a $15 gray, coil, air-flow seat cover from Wally-World. Better, faster, more productive or efficient? - Couldn't say yet. More fun? - Oh yeah!

7. Grits

from Florida

I wondered where you've been. I think I saw you about a 3 or 4 weeks ago. It was morning and I was coming up one of the main roads off the highway into Holley by the Sea. You were just about to start cutting. Wasn't sure if that was you or not. You were using your WB and open trailer. Glad to see that you are apparently doing good with your business, buying a Z and all. :cool2: I'm surprised you still associate with us small time Walk Behind guys.:laugh:
    I'm thinking about getting a Z for next season. I plan on running 2 crews....one crew with the 48 WB and one crew with the Z. Guess which crew I will be on!!!!! In the works of buying a Bluebird aerator off a friend of mine. So if you know of anyone that wants core aerating send them my way and I will give you a percentage.:drinkup:
    Good to know that you are still out there.

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I am running 4 Z's with 52 decks and DFS baggers. All but one have 23 kawa engine - the other is kohler - i think the kohler is quiter but I like the kawa engines overall. I have had some run 3000 hours and not a thing go wrong - currently the mowers are ranging in 1000 - to 260 hours. So far nothing but a throttle cable this summer.

9. Grits

from Florida

That is good to know!!!
    I like the Kawi engines. Thanks for the reply!

10. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Next time stop and holler at me. I pulled the signs off the truck two weeks ago after a mud bath but will put them back on this weekend so you'll know if it's me. After two weeks of no W/B while awaiting parts (they have to get some dude out of semi-retirement from his fishing shack on lake Wobegone every time I need a part for the antique Toro and then only put 2/3 of the parts in the box) and mowing (again) on the official mower of Forrest Gump I went looking for a hydro W/B. I got a better price on the Z and it was in stock. The ROPS bar's gotta go though. So far I ripped a branch off my poplar tree and darn near pulled down a client's fence while doing a wheelie and that was with the thing folded. My wife was watching the poplar 'incident' from the deck so I stopped, shut the mower down, took out the ear plugs, smiled and told her "tree-trimming was included absolutely free".

I'll take you up on the aerator offer. My son's been helping me out for the last week and I'm replacing enough sprinkler heads already.