Opinions please....

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by jrblawncare, Nov 12, 2000.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I need some thougts on this,I got my first snow & ice client Friday..A Daycare apx.14000 sq.ft. of parking lot..I will be working per event at 3 inches I'm pushing at 60.00 per push..less than that I'm speading.I'm adding on a tailgate spreader,We get a mixed bag here and will {I'm thinking}use it more than the plow.My problem..how to charge for this service.I was thinking of charging a trip fee of 25.00 or 30.00 and doubling my cost for material.Sounds like most guys here are using a potassium chloride based product..Ice Melt w/traction my cost is around 6.00 per bag.What do you think..is my plow price in line..will my speading price idea work..I'm only doing residentail and smaller commercial lots.Thanks and don't beat me up to bad,this is my first at this and I'm starting up in a new market{new guy in town}...sure do miss up-state NY and.......OK I will not say it...Oh why not...LAKE EFFECT!!! JOHN

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Well the pricing is what your market will bear. I usually try to get 70-80% of the per push price for ice control.At any rate no matter what ice melter you use, in order to melt 3" of snow in a timely fashion, you will have to use alot of it. I think you will find that when you get 2" of snow, you will push the lot off, and then ice control. Ice control alone is effective only to about an inch if you are melting from the top down, if you pre apply, you may be able to melt more, that will depend on the concentration of the product and the application rates. With the per trip charge and 2x material you really cant lose.
    Dino

3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Pricing on plowing sounds good. I agree with Dino on the ice control. His numbers "feel" right. Your way might not get you enough money.

4. jrblawncare

Dino,John I guess I will make that change, push at 2 inches.Less than that I will spread.Dino you said 70% to 80% of the price of a push for speading {I did remember that from our phone chat}so lets use my numbers for speading ice melt on the above lot...Trip charge of 25.00 two bags of product 26.00 for a total to the customer of 51.00 thats a little better than 80% of 60.00.does this sound right?

5. John Allin

Not a guarantee, and you can't hold me liable, and all that other legal mumbo jumbo....

But... it sounds right to me.

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I wouldn't have a minium amount on when you push. If you get 1" of wet snow, that builds up fast, you may be better off even pushing that 1". Then after the push apply your salt. The less there is to melt the less melting agent required.

Geoff

7. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Not to be picky, but if the material is $6.00 and you double it, that will give you 12.00x2 bags, puts you at 24.00 + 25.00 trip charge, nets 49.00.
    But anyway, I dont like being tied to trigger depths, if its an 1.5" and warming up, maybe no need to plow, but if the temps are dropping and you have an 1" then maybe you plow. By covering yourself from 0-3" plow price, you are able to use your judgement.
    Well anyway, I think with a trip charge and a good markup on the material you really cant lose, but just be realistic on what the deicer will be able to accomplish.
    Dino

8. jrblawncare

Thanks guys,once again you have been a great help!!!Dino....I was rounding up my costs in my favor...Charging 13.00 a bag..after all I have to pick it up...store it and handle it,You know what I mean.Your right...its been a long day thats 49.00.

[Edited by jrblawncare on 11-12-2000 at 10:31 PM]

9. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Boy is this hard, no comment.

10. John Allin

Man 'O Man..... if I could go 'off topic' I'd have a field day with all the opportunities presented in this thread.....

Ah well.... don't want to get into trouble, so I'll just observe some more......