Opinions/Problems with Walker and Echo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnze, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Lawnze

Lawnze LawnSite Member
    from AL

1st and foremost, THANKS for the information ya'll provide. I'm starting part time this year. I've decided on a Walker 20HP/42". The market around here calls for alot of bagging I'm told. I'm considering Echo all the way on everything else because of my budget. Any suggestions or past problems anyone can provide me with.(Redmax,Kawasaki are too high after pricing the Walker)
  2. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

Walker makes the best bagging unit out there imho .I have had no problems with mine and its two years old with 1200 hours on it.
    as for echo the few pieces I have I had no problem with.

If you do proper maintenace on anything it should last you a long time.

good luck
  3. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

You cant go wrong with Echo in my opinion. I have a pb1000 blower and a srm2400 trimmer. The blower I have had for about 8 years now with no troubles at all. The srm2400 is only a year old. I bought it to replace my old srm2100 that was also in its eighth season. I have never had to replace anything that wasn't routine maintainence.

I have a Stihl fs85 trimmer also. I am pretty satisfied with it also. Its about a year old.
  4. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I bought my first Walker last spring. 16 H.P. 36 inch side discharge deck & 36 inch GHS deck. Excellent machine,can get through most gates.(only need my 32 inch Toro wb at a couple accounts) Amazing for gathering leaves, it even sucks up wet leaves without jamming. If had to buy another one I don't think I would buy 2 decks, I would just get the GHS and install the No-Catch shute, it would save some money. I also made several Echo tool, blowers, trimmer, Mult-tool with no major problems I would recommend Echo.

5. Jason Burke

Jason Burke LawnSite Member

I've got a 16 with 42 inch deack and looking int a 26EFI with 54 inch GHS deck with 74 inch mulch deck. We also run echo can't go wrong there had ours for years with no major problems. Ever need any opinions give me aCall. Be glad to help ya. Were down here in Dothan. Best of luck in your new business you will do well.
  6. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Only one mower in it when it comes to bagging.. .[​IMG]
  7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Echo or Stihl both are good choices in this neck of the woods.Enjoy your Walker.
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I've owned Walkers for 4 years and can say that if you have to bag then its the way to go. The 20 hp has been around for a long time and is a solid performer. The Walker Company is great for the cutter.
    I have run the 42 GHS the whole time and have the no-catch deflector. I mostly bag in the spring and the fall (leafs and spring thatch) but I have a few customers that require the grass bagged year round.
    Believe it or not I use a Homelite trimmer that just won't die so I currently have no use for a "Commercial" trimmer. I no it goes against many Pros way of thinking but I have so little trimming after using the Walker that I cant justify the 400 bucks. Spend your money on a commercial backpack blower and use it for spring and fall cleans as well as day to day cleaning.

You won't be the fastest on the straightaways but you will have less trimming than some of the other guys. Good Luck.
  9. Todd Cannon

Todd Cannon LawnSite Member

I don't have any experience with Walker mowers. They must be great mowers from the comments I've read over the years. On Echo products, I was a loyal fan, everything Echo. However, we have had 2 2601 trimmers go down, one locked up and the other lost power considerably. I never had a problem with my old 2501. Echo seems to be concentrating on lighter products and the equipment appears to be suffering a little. Echo is still a good company but we have been shifting to Shindaiwa for the last couple of years. It is more expensive but it seems to run forever with almost no down time.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

As for Walker, I have never owned one, and except for shows and magazine ads, I had never seen one in use. They are expensive, and simply CAN'T be compared to a regular ZTR. Both have their strong points. If you HAVE to bag, get a Walker. No bagging? Then there are plenty of other less expensive choices.

As for Echo, I've owned a few of these. I also have a 2501 that I just cant kill. May finally retire it this season if a promo comes about on a new one.

One VERY important thing to consider with Echo....Buy the TOP OF THE LINE models! Stay AWAY from the Home Cheapo models! Most of the complaints in this forum on Echo products are on the lesser expensive models.

Good Luck