Opinions Request

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jimrw, Jun 11, 2002.

1. jimrw

jimrw LawnSite Member
    from 45373

I have dizzed myself in researching for a mower to replace my 10 year old series 2000 Cadet. It has not been much in the way of a mower, but hats off to its "taking a beating and still ticking." Anyway, after happily stumbling onto the Exmark mowers, I have settled to buy one. I have been impressed with all I've read, seen and heard. Now only to decide on type, model, size, etc.... Here I look to thos3e who have experience with their respective Exmarks.

Data
    Purpose: Residence
    Acerage: 4 acres
    Terrian: Flat to slighly rolling
    Stand: City Park mixture, good health, slight bumpiness
    Layout: Flower bed all around house, large open spaces, 30 trees/bushes set out in groups and spaced and four dang telephone poles.
    Likes, not particular order: Ease in attending to blades, quality of cut, speed of cut.

Thanks, and now I await the plethora of replies.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jim,

I hope you get some good responses here but I would also recommend that you contact your local dealer as well. He's going to be able to help you determine if you want to side discharge, bag or mulch as well as tell you what the commercial cutters in your area are using.

Thanks

Terry

3. Mackado

Mackado LawnSite Member

jimrw
    I am the proud owner of a new Lazer Z 60" cut and I have about the same area to mow you have with several trees and flower beds and buildings. I have a friend that is an eXmark dealer and he tried to convince me this is what I need. Well he loaned me his to try out and it took me an hour and a half to mow what had been taking me 41/2 hours. I was convinced and bought mine the last of May. I have increased the size of my yard added another half acre and the last time it took me one hour and twenty minutes to mow. I can handle it better and will do even faster with more experience. I bought the Kolher 25hp because it is easier to work on and has a great track record with my dealer friend. He has been selling them for 13 years and the first ones he sold are still in service. You will enjoy mowing with eXmark.
    Paul in Ky.:)

4. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Jim,

I also had a Cub Cadet 2000 series lawn tractor with 48" deck and of our 6 acres about 3 1/2 of them are grass in a park-like setting similar to what you describe. Why did I have a lawn tractor? Well, every other "home owner" had a nice lawn tractor; a Deere, a Cub, whatever ........ it seemed the right thing to do! After a couple of years of it taking me 6 to 7 hours to mow, I started thinking there has to be a better way! I asked myself, "Why do you never see any of the true commercial lawn care companies with lawn tractors?". Well, a year ago I bought an eXmark Lazer Z HP and I've been saying ever since I wish I had done this years ago. Here are my comments, recommendations, etc., after 1 year of use:
    1. Like the previous post said, you will knock hours off your mowing time.
    2. eXmark only manufactures commercial grade equipment and its all great. The Lazer Z HP is all you need. You do not need to spend the extra money for the full size Laser Z. The only regret I have is I got the 48" deck instead of the 52". The 52" makes edging around trees, fences, flower gardens, etc., much easier and you would be surprised at how much faster you can mow an acre with just that extra 4". The Kawasaki and Kohler are both good engines. If your dealer will give you a better price on the unit you want, take it with either engine.
    3. Keep your Cub!!! These ZTR's are just flat-out, speed demon, mowing machines. You will read on lawn site that some people use them to pull lawn carts, seeders, aerators, spreaders, but that is not what they are made for and the expensive of replacing one or both of the hydros makes this type of usage questionable.
    Use your old Cub for pulling things.
    4. I suggest you also purchase two accessories: A) a "Jungle Jack". Its going to set you back about $170.00 but it is designed for use exclusively on ZTR type mowers and makes cleaning and changing blades very easy and very safe. B) If your place has a heavy leaf drop in the fall, buy eXmark's mulch kit. Last fall I did not rake a single leaf! Put on the mulch kit and turned them to dust.
    5. Take your time learning to use your new toy. Be careful. They do not have the traction on hills that lawn tractors do. Once you get the hang of it you are going to love it! You're going to chew up a little sod, but we all did at first.

You will not be sorry going to a ZTR type mower and eXmark makes one of the highest quality machines on the market.

Good luck!
    Larry

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

No offense to Terry, but sometimes it's better to ask unbiased people who actually USE the mowers a lot rather than a salesman at a dealer. My dealers' salesmen couldn't answer many of my questions in the past. They tend to have a pretty shallow knowledge of the mowers.

My recommendation for Jim for home use on his 4 acres would be

Lazer Z HP with 44 or "48" deck. Why?

1) The least expensive Lazer you can get into.
    2) Yes, The smaller deck is a bit slower, but hey, a Lazer is overkill for most home lawns already. Even a small deck Lazer will fly through your lawn.
    3) The smaller decks may, arguably, deliver a nicer cut on rolling or uneven terrain. They for sure will maneuver through tight areas a little better.
    4) The 48" will trim better than the 44", with it's overhang, but the 44" may handle uneven terrain a bit better and may, depending on engine , give you a better hp/deck ratio, for more mowing power.

The bigger Z's have a better deeper deck design, I hear, but my 48" lzr z hp cuts great already. But if price is no object, go for a big boy if you want.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the input guys,

To a degree the more resources you use when making such a decision the more likely you are to make the right decision.

Point well taken Bruce.

Terry

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This is an example of a post that has had no reply from the original poster for over 45 Days. No thank you's, didn't even aknowledge any of your replies. This is just one of my pet peeves.

Anyway....

With a 4 acre lot, for the small price difference, I'd definately go with a 60" Lazer with any engine combo. The advice for a 44-48" on that size property in my opinion, is just not the best advice. He wants speed of cut and quality of cut. To go from a 44" to a 60" will significantly increase his productivity. Not just in overall cut capacity, but trim side ability. None of these mowers have a scalping problem. The only advantage a 44-48" will have over a larger deck, would be fitting inside 50" gates! Thats it. He didn't mention any gates. He just wants to save time cutting his home lawn. Telling him to go to a smaller deck than his Cub Cadet had, on a sizeable property such as his is just.... :dizzy:

8. jimrw

jimrw LawnSite Member
    from 45373

Sorry for the great delay in acknowledging all the good replies to my original post. It's that "dizzy" thing I guess.

Anyway, for better or worse I did my bit for the economy and purchased a Cub M60 10 days ago. It has the 25HP Kaw engine. I have mowed the lawn twice with the M60 and can say at this point I am satisfied. Driving with the bars is a whole new world from the steering wheel- I wiped out about 10 feet of my garden on the first mow while attempting one of the ZTR's. Cutting time has gone from 4.5-5 hours to about 2.5, which I look to improve on with experience and future improvements on the grounds bumpiness. (I have found that my lawn is much bumpier at 10 mph.)

Now I am considering the mulching attachment. The side discharge lays a bit more cuttings on the surface than I like to see. Any comments concerning mulching with ZTR's?

Again- thanks for the earlier replies.

Jim