Opinions Requested

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Feb 19, 2001.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Hey all,

Been reading more about flyers in "Guerilla Marketing" and decided I needed to change my flyer a little. So My wife and I spent a lot of time this evening brain storming and re-designing the flyer we use. I'd like some input on the finished product.

I should mention that the things I was trying to add to the flyer the old one didn't have was;

1) An attention getting headline
    2) Something that makes an offer - a coupon, etc.
    3) Mentioning "free" more often
    4) A deadline or expiration that induces them to call sooner
    5) This wasn't in the book but my wife said the bullets were a better idea than the paragraphs we used in the old ones.

So you be the judge of the before and after. I'd appreciate any and all critiques.

The new flyer is here;
    http://www.teleport.com/~jimlewis/flyer8.jpg

The old one is here;
    http://www.teleport.com/~jimlewis/flyer9.jpg

2. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Jim,

Great flyer. Only one thing.

Take off the amount of homes you service. (140) Some people will get the impression that you are too big and they wouldn't get the personal attention.

When it comes to lawn maintenance, sometimes customers can be "flakey". They kinda want to be thought of as the only one. (an illusion)

You can include something like " we regularly service an number of homes in the Tigard and Beaverton area".

Other than that great flyer.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

First let me qualify my self.I have about
    35 lawns and cant offer close to the full
    service you do.So its awkward giving you
    advice.If you can do all that you must
    have a big outfit.
    Now to your question.
    The first lays on the eyes a little better to me.
    FIRSTBEING THE OLDER ONE
    I cant put my finger on why but mabe choices
    complicated it a bit.
    Also they tell me that colors have proven
    in test to have very suprising results in
    advertisement effectiveness.An expert could
    tell you more about this.
    Last the word chemical is a bad word around here.
    Having said that let me say Ive copied both
    for ideas on one Im making.Dont think ill put
    on the site tho cause It probably wont look
    as good as either of yours. GOOD LUCK YOUR BUISINESS

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Jim, The new flyer looks good and I'll just pass an idea by you that has worked for me in the past.

The coupon at the bottom is good, I've done that also but I turned the coupon upside down so the customer has to turn it over and look at it. Its one of those things that make them read it because it looks wrong and you have their attention because they will turn it over to read it.

Just an idea to try on a few if you want. Good Luck.

5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I like the improvements!
    I find the second one much easier to read.
    The bullits make a big difference as oppossed to the long sentences in the first one.

one question:
    "chem maint" is listed after fert and weed control. What is chem maint if not these things?

Also, what about lawn/bed bug control?

The $50.00 off really gets my attention!

Just noticed the last sentence in the first paragraph.
    "...feel free to call us if we can..."

Why not:
    "...feel free to call us SO we can..."

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Jim,

Took a look at both of them, and your new one looks better.
    Not saying the old one didn't look good, but I like how the new one has the bullets. It lists the services you provide without being so wordy like the first one.

And I agree with Island Lawn. Change that IF, to SO.

Good job.

7. Hello Everybody:

I couldn't probably make a flier that nice, so take what I say with a grain of Salt.

Change it to a easier to read Font, Arial is a lot easier. Also more words in less space, might could even increase the size of the Font so us Old Folks can read it easier. Anything to increase the font size, reducing words & more white space helps a lot.

Change (Most Homes) to (Average Home), again just my thoughts! Don't volunteer yourself if you do not have to?

Some folks do think backwards & the number of accounts might make them skiddish. Maybe put something like, "We are looking for more Accounts in your area." Leaving out the 140, I actually had customers that would not recommend me, in fear I would drop them or get to big for them?

BTW, one day I hope to get that Book "Guerilla Marketing" I've heard a lot about it. I think there is a E-book on it too?

What do I know, about anything? :)

8. Eric Green

Eric Green LawnSite Member

Hey Jim,
    The new flyer looks great!!! Like the other guy said earlier,I have nowhere near the quantity of customers you have... yet... so I can't really give you advice. My wife and I are working on one similar to it with a little color added, I'll send it your way when it's finished!
    Keep up the good work!!!

Eric

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I prefer the new (8jpg) flyer but agree with the suggestion to go with a more readable font.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys. I have reworded the first paragraph based on your comments. I have also changed "Chemical Maintenance" to "Insect and Disease cControl" which is what I intended it to mean anyway. I agree, chemical sounds negative to some people. Thanks for all of your tips! Keep them coming.

By the way, awm, I sort of agree with you. I liked the paragraph layout that the older flyer had more than the bullet format of the new one too. But it seems we are the exception. I think it has to do with the fact that I am more of a detail oriented person. I like to get as much info as possible. But I've found most people prefer the simple, short, to-the-point bullets. So I have finally given in.