Opinions Wanted for Lawnboy Commercial 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeave96, May 1, 2004.

1. leeave96

leeave96 LawnSite Member

I am considering a self-propelled 21" Lawnboy Commercial with the 2 cycle Duraforce engine. What is your opinion of it?

I would consider the Toro Proline w/ Suzuki 2 cycle (if one could be found), but I would mostly be side discharging clippings and I think the Lawnboy's discharge is better than the Toro arrangement. The rear drive for both machines appear to be the same.

What is your experience with this mower, engine and discharging abilities.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

2. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I owne the Proline, and a 21inch lawnboy. I loved the lawnboy for side discharge. The toro would clog up very easy because of the design. I now run double blades on my proline with the mulch plug in and I absolutely love it. It just chews the grass up like nothing and is self propelled which saves wear and tear on me. The suzuki is a great engine, I just wish it was about 2 horse more for that really thick grass. If I wear not worried about clippings I would go with the lawn boy. It will discharge better and allow you to cut as fast as you can push it. Oh almost for got, the toro proline is the same as the exmark 21inch. If you cant find a toro, you can always go to a exmark dealer.

3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

3 years on my Lawnboy, same model as you speak of. Cut excellent, starts easy, light and runs great. I have never done anything to it other than sharpening the blade. Very low maintenance. I only use it maybe 2 hours a week though.

4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

If you get the LB go w/the Push! The commercial SP models have Plastic Drive Wheels that won't take Much Abuse & drive cables that Snap like Butter. The Push Com. Model is Indestructible!

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

See another thread I started a short time ago, "Parked my Toro ..."

I tried the Toro for discharge by borrowing a chute. After a few days of trials in several places, I thought the chute was a joke, and never invested in one myself. I returned the borrowed one, and simply wrote off any opportunity to discharge.

The Sizuki is a great engine. My new LB Dura-Force engine runs terrible, doesn't start very well. It runs worse than my old LB, with seven seasons, and over 4,000 lawns behind it. It was an engine on the market, just before Dura-Force engines became the standard.

The Toro is a great piece of equipment, but was so poor in bagging, I parked it. (see my other thread)