1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

opinions wanted on 1987 f350 dump truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNMOWERBOY, May 31, 2001.

LAWNMOWERBOY LawnSite Member
    from NEPA

just looking for people's input on a F350 / 4x4 / reg gas engine/dump box appears to be in good shape and operating well -with 126,000 miles on it - seller is looking for rghly $6500-

1. how many miles can you really get out of one of these trucks?

any input is appreciated...

2. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

Don't buy it. I just sold one, same only with diesel, biggest money pit I ever saw. I bought it for 5K two years ago, after two years I was at 13K, with repairs.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 79 chevy dump. Its a big help when doing landscaping or hauling alot of debris from a cleanup. That seems like a fair price. I can haul alot more in that than i can in a pickup box.
  4. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

This may sound a bit unusual coming from someone who likes "older iron", but I'd be wary of scooping this truck up sight unseen.

If you know something about the history of the truck, that can help in determining what shape it may be in:

Typically, dump trucks get worked hard & driven by everyone and their cousin - and I'd imagine this one's been overloaded a few times too! One owner or company truck? Seeing the way some of our guys treat the welding trucks, I wouldn't buy one of them if it came up on the used market! Has this truck ever plowed or trailered? That's another grueling workout for any truck. Driven all year round, or does it get winters off? Has it spent a lot of time with the engine idling? (Often a work truck serves as the lunchroom with the heater "on" when it's cold out)

How YOU plan to use the truck is another factor. Main runner or backup truck? Being it's 4x4, will you be plowing with it? Short trips or long? Pulling a trailer?

Best advice I can offer is: Check this truck out THOROUGHLY - meaning get a qualified mechanic that you trust to check it over top to bottom. This inspection may cost you a few $, but if it saves you from getting a $13K money pit it's well spent. If it checks out OK, remember that repairs will still be needed in the future - which is OK as long as you can schedule them in as required. Unexpected down time can cost big!

I run a really old (1975) dually, but I also gave it a b-i-g overhaul in '96. Have a picture showing the frame sitting on blocks with only the cab & rear springs/axle attached. As well, I use it in the winter but have been giving it "summers off" for a few years now. And yes, I do just about all my own repair work & have enough Chevy truck parts around to probably build another truck or two.

Older trucks can work well for you, provided you're willing to handle the bulk of the repair work yourself. Garages start to cost big $$$ fast, especially when tracking down the minor "idiot" problems (wiring for example) that crop up as a vehicle ages.

Well, that's one opinion anyway! Good luck with whatever decision you make!
  5. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

Late last year, I bought a '92 C-3500 flat bed dump. Has 160,000 on it, 454/auto. So far just a power steering leak. Paid $6500.00 for it. I use it almost every day.

6. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I would not buy it i would take the money and put it down on a new one and make 6 months worth of payments and have a brand new one without worries or problems. I would not but that because its a ford and its to old and a new one cost only 16k more and you dont waste time fixing it. Buy a chevy and be happy. fords to not hold up like chevys do when it comes to hauling. That 92 chevy looks like a better deal though but in my opinion that is too much money for such an old ford.