Opinions wanted on mower purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Saltydawg, May 5, 2008.

1. Saltydawg

Saltydawg LawnSite Member

I've been shopping for a ztr and I've narrowed the search down to a Toro Z400 or a John Deere 717a.

Both have a 48" deck. The Toro is a 21hp Kawasaki and the Deere is a 19hp Kawasaki. Both were quoted to me at $6400.

Which machine is going to hold up to commercial use and give years of good cuts? I will be the only operator of the machine and I'm a 36 yr old mechanic who is easy on equipment and maintains them well.

Going to pull the trigger tomorrow so any opinions would be appreciated.

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

I have a Toro WB now, but I've had the John Deere's before. I would personally go w/ the Toro, easier maintenance, cheaper parts, and heavier duty:weightlifter:. Both give a very comparable cut, but that extra 2 hp on the Toro is a big plus. Anything John Deere is going to be more expensive, now and parts/labor later. One of the biggest things for me though when i was starting out was to choose a dealer that i could build a relationship w/. I buy all my new stuff from one dealer and he helps me out in return w/ faster service. Build that relationship and your going to be better off in the long run no matter which one you buy. Mower against mower though....Go w/ the Toro.

3. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

thats the same toro that ill be purchasing tomorrow. toro is a great machine. i personally like it better than john deere. but all i've owned is toro. easy maintenance. im 15. i worked on my toro wb with ease. you'll be happy with either one.

just my 2 pennies.

4. thezaz

thezaz LawnSite Member

Toro has a thicker deck and thats good for junk you might hit and last longer JD's i work with a lot great mower but more for your home. ask them to put a 23 kawi 21 lacks a little bit. more so for highdro perposes. I run 23' and 25 no less. And to get a little more full syntec oil trust me ran normal oil and ran slugish and took longer starts on cool days and put full syntec in and start up so fast and don't even need to use my choke. also if you run with crap gas and I am talking 10% eth get yourself seaFoam and add that to your fuel it will keep your motor clean and running good. I use it when I don't have time to go get clean gas.

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

I've never needed more than 19 horses on a 48" deck. That 21 sounds great, but if they'll stick on a 23 hp go for it. Thanks for the input on the syntec oil.

6. Yerkz

Yerkz LawnSite Member

Go with the TORO. The price sounds good and you might even be able to get the suspension seat thrown in on the deal.

7. thezaz

thezaz LawnSite Member

yeah i also use full syntec for all my two cycle stuff.