Opinions wanted on mulching blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BMARK, Sep 20, 2004.

1. BMARK

BMARK LawnSite Member

Want a blade for the fall to chew up leaves. I don't have a mulch unit so intend to discharge only. How do the exmark mulching blades compare to the gators? Has anyone used both that can give an opinion?
  2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades will do a lot better by just putting a flap over the discharge shut. No picking up any leaves.
  3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I liked using J Thomas mulchers.
  4. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

I love my gator blades. They tear through the leaves and I think they leave nicer stripes too. I will probably just leave them on for the entire season next year.
  5. I use gator blades with my micro-mulch kit year round. Works great and never have to bag.
  6. YardMeister

YardMeister LawnSite Member

I have one machine with Gator mulching blades, which work super, all year long. I have another machine which I run the OEM mulching blades on, which also work great. I like the price of the Gators over the OEM, but the end result is that both are good. I keep my blades sharp, and change them regularly for sharpening. My Walker uses the OEM high lift blades that they sell. I have to keep those sharp too, but it shows in the end result.

If I had to select which mulching blades to use, I would buy the Gator mulching blades.

I've not used any other third party brand, so I cannot state anything about them.

Good luck.