Opinions wanted on new Deere's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by POPO4995, May 1, 2007.

1. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, looking for opinions on new Deere's. I will be trading my 425AWS and possibly my 445AWS for the new mowers. Im looking at the following two options:

X720 Ultimate Tractor - 60" 7 IRON Deck - 3 Bag Powerflow System
    G15 Walk-Behind - 36" Deck - 3 Bushel Bagger
    Add a Powerflow system to my 737

757 - 60" Mulch On Demand Deck - 3 Bag Powerflow System
    G15 Walk-Behind - 36" Deck - 3 Bushel Bagger
    X300 Lawn Tractor - 42" Edge Deck

I really cant make a good decision. I need a actual tractor for pulling attachments, mowing hills, etc. So if I go with Option #2, I need to actually buy a third piece of equipment in the X300, just for that purpose. The 757 would be fast, but the X720 has the 7 IRON deck and I dont need another piece of equipment. I can purchase a loader, tiller, snowblower, etc. for the X720, where the 757 is strictly a mower. I can get the 757 for $8000, X720 for $9800. Any help is appreciated!:hammerhead:
  2. gobbles2700

gobbles2700 LawnSite Member

Can't help with the tractor part but I'm picking up my G15 Thursday morning as I pass the dealership and will be either loving or hating the thing by day's end.
  3. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

Don't know if this will help you, but...

I kind of ended up with a good combination myself. I've had a 2210 compact diesel with 62" mid-deck and a loader. Plus, I recently added a 727A Z-Trak. I feel I have the best of both worlds now.

I love my new Z - so fast and nimble, and the 7-Iron deck is awesome. I also do other jobs where I need the loader, plus pull other implements like a Bush Hog, landscape rake etc. Plus, this gives me a 4wd 62" diesel mower for big hills, and properties that are a bit rough (fields turned into lawns). No, the 62" deck is not a 7-Iron, but for what I do with it that doesn't matter. I also use the 2210 for cleanups - don't want to bang up that beautiful 7-Iron deck with sticks and stuff.

I guess my point is, if you are buying new, is to look at the 2305 compact diesel instead of the X720. The 2305 comes standard with 3 point hitch, and SCV valve for a quick loader addition - I don't know what I would do without that loader!

And, do you really need a powerflow system on both the tractor and 737?
    My plan is to add the powerflow to my 2210 - don't want to take away from the nimbleness of my nice little Z......
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'd take a 757 but forget the mulch on demand deck. It's not getting the best reviews. Hard to get a deck to do both. The 7 Iron II almost always gets a good review.
  5. POPO4995

I use to have a 2305 but sold it since I couldnt attach a bagging unit. The X720 accepts the 45 Loader, even though it doesnt lift much but all I need a loader for is moving mulch, grass, dirt, etc. Nothing big. I'm not to sure about that Mulch On Demand deck either, but he has it in stock and wants to get it out the door.:rolleyes:
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Turf magazine ran a review of the JD with the mulch on demand deck a few issues ago. I got the feeling that the reviewer was trying to be nice and say it did OK. In other words I got the impression that the mulch on demand was a trade off. It would do both mulch or discharge but didn't do an excellent job either way, a compromise in other words. Just my opinion, love the 7 irons but not too sure about the mulch on demand.
  7. POPO4995

Well I ordered the X720 this morning, and also the 3 Bag Powerflow System. :usflag:
  8. POPO4995

However, the delivery date is July 1, 2007....forgot to mention that! :mad: