1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions wanted on purchase of slice seeders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rhodester, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Rhodester

Rhodester LawnSite Member

Hello folks,

It's getting to be overseeding time again.
    In the past, we've always rented the big self-propelled Ryans.
    Every season we end up shelling out $12-1500. in rental fees as well as the time and expence involved in picking it up and dropping it off, and also must deal with the inconvenience of working within the rental time frame.

We're considering buying, but cannot afford the 4-5 grand for the Ryan or a similar model.

We are looking at the newest models of non self-propelled units by Bluebird (S-22) and Billygoat (OS550).
    Both are powered by 5.5 horse Briggs. The Bluebird is a rear hopper model and the billygoat is a front hopper.
    Both are convertible into de-thatchers and both are priced at $1249. plus tax.

Any comments, opinions or feedback, either positive or negative on these machines would be greatly appreciated in helping us make a decision.

Thanks in advance...

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Turfco makes a pretty nice one as well goes for $1975
  3. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I have a lesco renovator/slice seeder.
    I know there are some who frown on lesco lately but this is a great machine that is very easy to operate.
  4. Rhodester

Thank you very much for the response guys.

I'd like to hear also from anyone who has actually used either of the two brands of seeders I've mentioned.

Thanks again,

5. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Ive used them all, and by far the ryans are top notch, they are true slice seeders, and worth every penny.

When I spent my money, I went with the lesco renovator, I am very happy with that machine, its 6 years old and has done at least 100k in seed work ( 1999 dry summer was awsome for 99-00 seed work )

Bluebirds are just dethatchers with seed boxes thrown on, not worth the money.

When I am ready to replace the renovator I will mostlikly go with a ryan, it really is worth the money.
  6. exmarkjockey

exmarkjockey LawnSite Member

I own a Classen and have been very pleased with it so far. Just another option for you to consider.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I also have the lesco renovator and would highly recommend a used one over a bluebird or billygoat brand. This time of yr lesco sells off there used equipment and you can get a good deal on one.

8. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco renovator. They have the hopper in the front which to me makes more sense.
  9. Rhodester

Thanks everyone, for the feedback.

I called around looking to see what might be available used.

Not much...
    However, one of the local rental places has a 2000 model Classen TS-20.
    It's non self-propelled, 5.5 Honda powered w/ front hopper.
    He's willing to put new blades on it and guarantee the motor for 90 days. He's asking $750.

Is this the model that you are familiar with?

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use a Jacobsen, here's a pic. Sorry, but I can't comment on the models that you are asking about.

jacobsen side.jpg