Opinions Wanted: Sulky For A Big Dude

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Green Boots, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Green Boots

Green Boots LawnSite Member

I just picked up a 40" Toro Belt Drive WB, and I need a sulky now.

Thing is, i'm a big guy. 6'4' 320lb.

What is the best sulky for me and this machine?

2. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

the exmark new ones are nice, they have a super fat single wheel and i loved using them, they wouldnt wear out in the 2 years i tried them but they cost over 400 each

i hear pro sildes work nice

i buy the cheapo single wheel ones but wear out 2 tires per year and the joints end up wearing out in no time and im about 120 pounds less than you

3. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

I ve got a bull rider by trimmer trap i will sell you for two hundred. Its the heavyiest one ive seen.

4. BENTLEY'S

BENTLEY'S LawnSite Member

The only one you can even consider is the the bull rider. I weigh more than you and my bull rider has lasted years. Go to www.power41com they have the best price. I would be lost without mine.

Bentley's

5. Green Boots

My concern is this, both of the below appear on the Bull Rider info:

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR BELT DRIVE MOWERS 48" OR LESS

IMPORTANT NOTE: THE BULL RIDER SULKY SHOULD NOT BE USED ON ANY BELT DRIVE MOWER USING LESS THAN A 48" DECK

6. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

what size engine on your mower how much you need to use a sulky which is sit down as opposed to a velke stand on

7. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

No sulky is good at 320 lbs. You should slim down and not for a sulky's sake. For your own. People over 250lbs have a dramatically lowered life expectancy. I've never met you but still I'd like you to live a long and prosperous life.:waving: Walk a while once you slim down only then buy a sulky.

8. Green Boots

I am down 30 lbs in last 2 months. I am working it down after gaining 80 lbs laying in bed for 3 months following my double disc op.

I have a 38" waist and a 3x chest, and I am 6'4". I'm Big, but not round... I do walk ... a LOT :walking:

I appreciate your concern though.

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

That is for sure. Makes it very hard to hold a straight line. Every bump that moves the BR sulky to one side or the other moves the front of the wb in the opposite direction. This will make you weary fast.

With belt wb you need something that will jack knife in reverse, like a Jungle Jim (If you have full reverse like the old Toro 4-speeds + reverse). I don't know what the limit for operator weight is on the JJ, but imho that is the best basic design for wb belt using a wheeled sulky. I would like an option for heavier duty tires on it.

10. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

Pro-slide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!