Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by wojo23323, Dec 5, 2003.

?

Should I .......

1. Bid now

21 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Bid in 1 year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Don't bid at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Former co-worker is selling his business (he is relocating). I have been doing work fo him for 3 years. Always helped him out when he needed it. He also gave me some advice on how to start my lawn biz 5 years ago. I am giving him what $ he wants for the biz spread out in 12 pmts. He gets another offer that is 1k more then mine with 25% down. He says he will most likely take the better offer because in his words "business is business". If he loses any contracts next year that will affect the selling price negatively. I tell him OK, but I am going to bid the contracts when they are up because "business is business". He says I should wait 1 year until I bid. I've been doing these contracts for quite awhile and know how much they go for. What would you do? Bid them now, Bid them in 1 year or don't bid at all.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

biz is biz his words, do them now, it only the $$$$ that seems to matter. So go get your share!

Mac

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

bid them now

4. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

go for it and bid now. as you said you know the accounts so you know what they are worth. GOOD LUCK

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Your 'friend' has already answered this, get all the business you can handle and be thankful for it. If anything is ever said by anyone, well, business is business .........!

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks to me that you had already made a payment? Then he backed out? Did you have a contract?
    Bid them now. Business is business.
    Crawdad

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Buzi is Buzi and unfortunate it is cut throat also. If you know the prices he is charging now then bid them $ 5.00 under and get them all. Customer will have some loyally for good service. But if they know there is a change coming down, they will jump ship. INSIDE INFORMATION is your key advantage here. By bidding them now you have made the customer aware of your services in case they wants to change in the future. Keep sending them letters.

I have bought out several Business. It is a very good business practice if you can take on a lot in a short time period. You can double or triple your accounts over night. However be prepared. Also realize you will lose around 10% no matter what you do.

8. fastpitcher

fastpitcher LawnSite Member
    from PA

Ditto! I agree with everyone above.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Oh yeah....I agree....business is business.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

BID NOW go 4 it take them all:laugh: