Opinons on bluebird products

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&R Landscaping, Oct 8, 2006.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Earlier this week when I was at my dealer picking up some things, he started joking around and asked me if I wanted a vac for a ZTR. I told him (and he knew) that I did not have 1 so it was pointless. He showed me this bluebird vac unit and showed me that the whole housing and impeller fan was damaged and broken.

After taking a look at this fan, it looked a lot thinner and cheapily made than I would have expected. He said it was one reason why he stopped selling bluebird products and switched over to ryan for aerators and such.

I have not gotten that close of a view at any other products bluebird makes but I remember another LS member talking about possible broken tines on a bluebird aerator he had.

For those of you that have used different brands including bluebird, lesco, ryan, husqvarna, etc; who do you think makes a tougher machine. Was the blower I saw just a bad egg in the dozen or does this seem to be a common flaw of bluebird products? Any and all comments welcome.
  2. Echelon

Echelon LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i rented a bluebird sodcutter from home depot and it broke a bolt after the second pass. took it back and the tool rental guy said the bluebird stuff is broken more than it works. he had nothing good to say about bluebird products based on how often he had to fix them. so theres that.:)
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Blue bird fixed blade verticutter and slit seeder. I bought it used from H/D rentals. This is the second year of use and just had a bearing on the blade shaft lock up. A small adjustment plastic handle thing also broke (technical tern) I asked my dealer about ordering a new one he said He didn't want to get involved, had nothing but bad experiences with Blue Bird. The machine has worked fine for me.
  4. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

My local rental shop has a bluebird aerator that I've used numerous times in the last 2 years and I've never had a problem with it. And I would know because I'm the only one thats rented it! I'm going to look at a used bluebird power rake this weekend.
  5. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I am big into moterizied scooters. Ive got one of the 57cc BlueBird (BB) engine. The thing breaks exhasut ports more then anything. You cant get parts anywhere! The engines are cheap and the machines have to be cheaper!!! If they atleast had 1 place to buy parts in the US it might be better. BlueBird is one of the worse itailin companys. Has anyone heard of active equipment?
  6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Wrong BlueBird.
  7. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

really? They make all lawn equipment, trimmers, blowers,lots of more stuff?
  8. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I've rented a bluebird aerator as well, never had any problems.
  9. BMFL79

BMFL79 LawnSite Member

I rented aerators a couple of times this fall. I got a ryan once and a bluebird once. I liked the ryan because it was faster and felt like it was more stable with the bigger roller in the front.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have 2 Bluebird aerators...never a problem with either one of them.