Opinons on Diesel ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by farmered, Nov 11, 2004.

1. farmered

farmered LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a 72" ZTR diesel. I am looking at the Exmark XP and the Kubota ZD28 72" pro deck. I understand that Hustler is going to have a 34 HP diesel soon.

What are the people's opinion's/experiences with various diesel ZTR's for commercial usage - e.g. Exmark XP 27 diesel (72") vs Kubota ZD28 (72"), vs Gravely 72" 31 HP, etc. Also Exmark has that 31 HP gas - the Exmark XS in 72" but nobody in my area seems to have them just yet (may be mid December).

I've looked at all the specs. Demoed the Exmark XP 27 HP and the Kubota ZD28 72". The both look fine. I like the exmark due to the fact that there are numerous aftermarket parts/blades, etc. Who cuts better. Does the 27 HP Daihatsu diesel bog down. Any feedback would be greately appreciated.

--ed in Northern Virginia.

2. chief5139

chief5139 LawnSite Member

never tried the exmark though i hear there real nice. The only thing i can tell you is that I have a friend mows commercialy hospitals and other commercial lots and I know for a fact that he has over 10,000 hours on his kubota and he's buying another kubota just for the fact of expanding his crews. and still uses his old one. so thats just my experiance. :)

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 22hp kubota diesel on my grasshopper. it's a 61" deck and never bogs down. when talking to ppl at my GH dealer there are several ppl who have over 10k hours on their diesels with no problems. i would highly recommend a diesel!

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Before you buy, check out the Ferris IS5000 with the 31 hp Cat...the thing is a monster and rides like my Caddy.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Also make sure you demo a Dixie Chopper Diesel.

If I had to choose between the Exmark & the Kubota... Kubota. I was at a dealership that sold both of these machines.. The service manager said the Exmark diesels are frequently in the shop.

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Definately look at the Ferris with the 31 hp Cat diesel. Great looking machine. Also you should look at the Dixie Chopper diesel. It has a 50 HP Yanmar 3 cylinder Turbo charged diesel engine and they are not too much more expensive than any other diesel.

7. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have for the last three years been converting to diesel powerd mowers, I have run almost every make out there! My latest purchase earlier this year was a Yazoo Mega-Max 72" 34hp diesel Love It! 600 hrs. and not one failure, Not even a flat tire! The mega max is exceptionally smooth as well. With a walk-behind striping effect you should take a look at one. I do own some other makes of diesel mowers, but I am exceptionally happy with the Y/K!

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got the Gravely with the 31hp turbo-diesel. Love it! Tons of torque and power!

9. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I just heard from a dealer that in Dallas there are times when the commercial guys can't run anything with a gasoline engine, only diesels. It's what I heard but you might want to check it out, if you're in a high pollution area it might be something to seriously consider.

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I cannot justify a diesel mower. The diesel mower prices are ridiculous. By 3000 hours almost everything is near worn out. I would buy a Dixie Chopper 72" Generac for $9200. You can't beat that. 3 year warranty on the motor. On paper I cannot justify the diesel over the Generac.