1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opionions Wanted For A New Trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Firefighter Dave, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

Well I am ready to stop working out of the back of my truck....

I started in the biz this year. I only have a "K-mart special" but next year I will buy an Exmark 48 WB. But in the next week or two I am going to buy a trailer.

I have found two that I like so far.... I Wells Cargo & a Cargo Mate I guess it's made by Forest River. Wells Cargo is 3,100 and the Cargo Mate is 2,800. Both are inclosed trailers 6X12. Both have all the "extras" height added, interior lights, vents, nice plywood inside and rear ramp door.

The question is, is thier any others that you recommend? Do you know where I can buy them for less? I live in the Michigan area, but could travel to IN, or OH if anyone knows any great dealers with great prices.

Oh yeah... can anyone tell me if they have had thier trailer lettered and what it cost them?

:blob2: :blob2:
  2. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

IMO Dave, the two brands of trailers that you've mentioned here are really the best on the market in this particular nitch. Why make it harder than it has to be?

However, I would like to point out some things that you may or may not have thought about.

If you're using a 1/2 ton truck, don't even consider one of these trailers without an electric brake control. Half ton trucks have 3 glaring problems for those who are growing a business. Tires, brakes and rear axle gear ratio. But hey, other than that they're
    ok...... i guess. Keep in mind that while many people take big travel trailers on vacation using a half ton, you're going to be using yours everyday for months on end. It's a whole different grind. It is extremely important for the trailer to do its own braking. You may think that your truck is just fine, but the first time you're out coming home in the rain and you don't have trailer brakes, your front wheels will be skating like Nancy Kerrigan and the rest of the wheels will be doing nothing. This holds true also for many 3/4 tons. The best brake control hands down is the Tekonsha Prodigy. Wow is this awesome!! It's pricey, about $150 - $160 in our area. But it's simply the best. They even have an extra bracket and auxilary harness available that allows you to transfer your Prodigy from one truck to another. Cry once and get it over with. For daily hard use, I wouldn't even look at any other brake box.

If your truck is new and has a factory towing package, the Prodigy will plug right in to the truck's wiring harness. Dodge Ford GMC and Chevy have all put a pig tail under the dash that is compatible with the Prodigy. Sure makes installation a snap. Also, the industry is swinging toward the round 7 pole connector at the trailer end. IMO it's also the best.

You might want to check out the Kinedyne E-track cargo control system. They're tailor made for enclosed trailers. Worth it.

Hope this helps.
  3. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a F-150 and pulling an open trailer with a ZTR with no brakes, is this something I need to address?????
  4. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I have a Pace 6x12. I found out the hard way about choosing an enclosed trailer. I thought that since Pace is one of the better trailers out there that is would be great, and it was until I bought my 61" Ferris last week and the rear door was not wide enough. Started looking around and found that some brands of trailers have wider rear doors than others on the same exact size trailer. The one thing I found on the Pace that really hurt me was the lip seal for the rear door was moolded on the door frame and not on the door itself. If it had been on the door I would have had enough room and would not have had to cut it. I ended up cutting it off at the bottom enough for the deck to make it through. After forking out the money to buy a bigger mower there was no-way I was going to buy a bigger trailer the same day. Too painful. Anyway cuting the lipseal really didn't seem to effect it. I pulled in hard rain the other day and there was no water inside at all. The trailer that I have found to have the widest rear door is the Cargo King they sell at Lowe's. It is a bit pricey though for a 6X12. Take a tape measure with you when you go shopping and measure the rear door. A 6' wide trailer isn't worth a durn if it has a 5' rear door.
    You don't have to worry about brakes on a 6x12. The trailer does not weigh enough to be a problem stopping even with the equipment in it. I don't think they put brakes on a 6x12 unless specially ordered. Getting a 6x12 with brakes would really jump the price of the trailer up. Even though I pull mine with a F350 dually I can not tell it is back there.
    As far as shopping price, when I shopped around I could not find more than about a $100 differance no matter where I called. It was not enough to justify the fuel and time to go pick it up. It might be different up there where you live. Call around a few places you will be able to tell in about 5 or 6 calls whether your local dealer is in line with his price.
  5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

check out http://www.hhtrailer.com/ dave you can have them custom made to your specs

im gunna have one built this feb so when springs rolls around ill get it then im haveing a 8 x 20 built
    if your gunna get one go with the 7" or 8" x ?? the bigger the better

heres dealers in your area

Gavin chevrolet buik pontiac - Middleville , MI (616) 795-3318
    Kelly & sons trailers - carleton , MI (734) 783-6464
    nolan's farm equipment inc - lapeer , MI (810) 664-3798
    Thunderbolt trailers - Watervliet , MI (888) 463-8211

call the dealer nearest you and ask some ???? they will be more then happy to give ya a price qoute
  6. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Jon99

You really should put a brake box on that thing. One day when there is just a light sprinkling on the street and a little mist in the air, you're in the turn lane following a lady from India in her Honda, the light turns yellow and you goose it just a little to make the light and she wimps out and hits the brakes, you won't need to be following too closely, you'll hit her anyway. Those front wheels just don't have enough contact patch to do it all.

That's what happened to me. I had had a few scary close calls before then but that one really convinced me.

No one got hurt. I was able to scrup off enough speed that it was maybe a 7mph thump. It only knocked off the bowtie on my grill but it just crushed that poor lady's Honda BAD! :dizzy:

Oh by the way, this truck is a 3/4 ton but tire patch is not that different.

If your trailer only has idlers (axles without brakes) shop for a new trailer or shop for a new axle or, if you're using a Dexter 3500lb axle, you can buy the parts and convert it yourself. In our area there are a lot of people selling trailers but no one sells parts. If that's the case with you, let me know and I'll track down what you need. Here's my email: dgrason@hotmail.com
  7. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

im lookin into gettin another trailer...i want to get a toro ztr (best for the money but i dont know how big my deck will be yet)...if i will be pulling a ztr and a walk behind, is it necessary to get a tandem? or can i just go single axle? i will definetly get brakes...and would i be fine getting a 6 foot wide trailer or do i need to get the 6'4? i would probly get it 14 ft long...HELP! Feedback please!
  8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 7x14 pace with a 36 exmark and dixie can walk around dc wich comes in handy glad i went 7 wide looks like it will be close but might be able to squeeze a 48 in there