opportunity knocks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcarlson1911, Dec 7, 2006.

1. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

I got a call last week for a quote on plowing at a home with a 350' drive and 55x55 parking area.

I haven't closed the deal on the plowing oficially, but I've been working on it.

Throughout the process, we have discussed her displeasure with the service she has had in the green industry. Difficulty with reliability and quality. These are two areas where many in our industry could improve.

LOng story short, she is our niche. 11 acres. Interested in high quality work, and highquality customer service, and able to pay for both.

Other than the footprint of the house and pool, the driveway, and some large shrub areas the turf is flat and open. LEt's call it ten acres total area to be mowed. There is an average amount of trimming and edging not very much compared to the total area. I know how difficult it is to talk bidding over the web, but assuming everything is a piece of cake, how much would you charge for a residential 10 acre mow per cut? I went with my standard 65 for the first acre and 20 for each additional. 65 + (9*20) = 245 per cut. What do you think?
    pc

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

That price sounds about right. Maybe a little high for this area though. Good Luck.

3. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

If you can get the whole job completed in 4 hours or less you should be ok I think

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking about $300.00 per cut $30 per acre.

5. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

$30.00 an acre?! wow, things must be cheaper out that way. We get $30.00 for a small to mid yard. Large yards are in the 45.00 to 60.00 range. In fact this next year we will charge a minimum of $30.00. I guess it depends on your equipment though and how quick you can finish the property.

6. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I would think you would be more in the 300 dollar range??? Pricing may be diffrent there though. If she mentions high quality work and that she is dissatisfied with the green industry, that might be a red flag. I would want to cover my own butt and go in the 300 range.

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Exactly what I was thinking. RED FLAG. She probably a pita and that is why she cant find anyone good. Everyone tries to get fired. Or she is so cheap that all she can get is the part timers who dont work on a fixed schedule. Good luck with her!

8. grant087

grant087 LawnSite Member

i would charge a premium just my thought......people know they get what they pay for, i would personally charge a whole lot more than that but thats just me

9. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

on a property that size, i would not want to shoot a price for per cut...i would try to upsell total maint...usually folks with that kind of property and money do not want 5 different folks working when one can take care of everything...even if you do not do fert/squirt, get someone to do it and you pay them...figure how much you would charge for the bushes, mulch, etc---if you want say 300-350 per cut then multiply times that average cuts you get in your area, add it all together and divide by 10 or 12 payments...try to give her the comfort of ensuring that basically she would not have to worry about anyhting yard related...re the snow removal, no clue...

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Based on this, up the price some...give yourself some extra pay as it sounds like she will be expecting grade-A service. So charge accordingly. I don't do lawns the size of this one but if someone sounds like they demand extra attention then I give it to them but it costs more.

And like someone said, offer a complete package for everything she wants.