1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by boxsky, Apr 12, 2006.

1. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

Did my first spring clean. When I bidded on the job I figured myself 3-3.5 hrs for 120. Well they hired me. When I go to remove the debris form the yard I find 1000's of acorns some with 4 inch roots into the ground. Did the best I could with my alotted time.

Showed the customer my finished work, did not seem happy about acorns still attached to the earth because her husband wants to seed the lawn. Told / showed her how my rakes would not remove them and you physically had to hand pick or dig down a min of 2 inches to get them out.
    They paid and on my way I went. BTW I did try to get the mow, seed, fert, etc jobs but her husband does it.

I will never take another clean up without inspecting the ground more throughly and right now unless it is a client I don't want spring/fall clean ups from a one time customer.

How has others handled the acorn problems in the past?
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i have never encountered a problem with acorns stuck into the ground, here they are just loose.
  3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry about it, you learn something everytime. In ten years you will be looking back laughing.