1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1stclasslawns, Jun 10, 2000.

1. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I was mowing yesterday and I have to fess up. I goofed. I hit a metel stake that was stuck in the ground several feet, and broke a blade, on my Great Dane. I broke a commercial mulcher (gater). It broke about 3 inches from the end. Shook like hell! There is no sign of previous fatigue, or cracks on the blade. But the thing that amases me is there is no other damage to the machine, if it had been a craftsman or somthing else I'd have to spend hours and dollars fixing all it would have broken. The beauty of commercial machines!!!!!<br> I knew the stake was there but just &quot;forgot&quot; anyway it is an old guy wire stake so there is no pulling it, it has been cut off, but Im getting ready to dig it down a foot or so and cut it off again. Its in an apartment complex so its a danger in the first place, so they are even going to pay me to do it. <br>
  2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Give youself an uppercut. :)<br>So you get paid for damaging your mower?<br>Cool.<p>Karl<br>
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Try taking a sledge hammer and driving it on down flush, better than digging.<p>Homer
  4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably won't be able to hammer it in. There is 1-2 feet of auger at the bottom of that stake and you probably won't move it without turning it at the same time. Dig & cut!