1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opt-2/Amsoil mixes and costs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Roger, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I've followed many threads on LS regarding 2 cycle oils. Many use Amsoil, others use Opti-2. In many cases, "...I use xxx" but without stating mix ratios. I am supposing many of those posts mean 100:1.

I've used Amsoil in the past couple of years for my 2 cycle Stihl products, at 100:1, or 80:1. I've also used 100:1 in an old LawnBoy (pre-DuraForce era) -- finally able to keep exhaust ports open. I also have a LB DuraForce, but it failed after 400 hours, using LB oil. For the last three months of the season, after a rebuild, I used Stihl 32:1, but that proved to be wrong. I was so concerned about another failure. However, the Stihl oil is not ashless, and the buildup was bad on plugs, exhaust, etc. I wanted to try something different this season. I also use Stihl 50:1 in a 5.5hp Sizuki on a Toro Proline, but it gets pretty dirty too. I want to find something cleaner.

I ordered two bottles of Opt-2 oil, and find the suggested mix is 100:1 (their web site says nothing about mix ratios). Reading many posts on LS, I was expecting 50:1 as "normal."

After buying two bottles from mail order (never have seen it any dealer in this area - no clue where to buy locally), I now realize a huge price difference between Opti-2 and Amsoil.

At 100:1, for a 5 gal mix (oil only):

Opti-2, 1 gal pouches, $5.93
    2.5 gal pouches, $4.06
    34 oz bottle, $2.82

Amsoil, 32 oz bottle, $1.59

Is this right? Obviously, for richer mixtures, the prices go even higher. I'll spare you the arithmetic, but can provide by PM if anybody is interested.

I'm thinking of running the LB DuraForce at about 75:1 -- I've lost it one time, and don't want to loose it again, and maybe the Sizuki at the same ratio. I know my Stihl gear has done well with Amsoil at 100:1 or 80:1 (most of last season).
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I buy the Opti-2 in a gallon container. It makes like 100 gallons of mixture at the 100:1 rate. I usually put it closer to the 80:1 ratio. The 1 gallon container is like $30, don't remember exactly what the price is. I use it in my Duraforce Lawnboy and all Stihl and Redmax 2 cycle equipment. Never foul plugs, never clean exhaust ports and never breathe fumes.
  3. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Where are you getting a quart bottle of AMSOIL from for only $1.59? I'm looking at their catalog and a quart of the 2-cycle Interceptor is $7.05, Dominator is $8.75, and Saber is $7.95.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry if I misled you. The $1.59 for Amsoil is for 5 gallon mix. The 32 oz bottle is $7.95, but it will make several 5 gallon mixes. My chart is the same 5 gallons of mixed fuel, both Opti-2 (e.g. 5 pouches of 1 gallon mix, 2 pouches of 2.5 gallon mix, etc) and Amsoil.

65Hoss, where do you get a gallon for $30? Wow, .. I paid $29.95 for two 34 oz bottles, a bit over half-gallon. For all the users on LS of Opti-2, little is said where it is being bought.
  5. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Sorry about that, I didn't do the math correctly. I read on here that Jagor Equipment was a good place to get it from... http://tinyurl.com/5mubj

Right before I ordered I checked eBay and found a case of 48 gallon pouches for $20 so I went with that b/c it was a much better deal.