Opt out of Ohio Workers Comp????

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by battags, Mar 3, 2007.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone heard of being able to have an employee opt out of Ohio's Workmans Comp? I haven't been able to find it yet in writting, but I have been told that an employee can opt out every 6 months by signing a waiver form to be filed with BWC and submitting a $15 fee.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Brian

2. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I never herd of that. Workmens comp is the biggest waste of money period.

3. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Until that big accident happens. Then it will be the best money spent.

4. JRSlawn

I would rather have the big accident not happen. :)

5. mslawn

from LA

That is something out of your control. Your employee could have a brain fart and chop his arm off with a tool and with no workers comp, your out there on your own.

6. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Although I understand mslawn's point, I would also like to know if there is an Opt out form because my employees are just in high school, plus I have insurance that covers medical.

7. JRSlawn

Yeah my company policy covers all medical and injuries

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

In Ohio you can Opt out, if you are a Sole guy with no employees. It cost 10.00 and you get your Certificate.. If you can get in to a group rating, its the best thing ever. The group rating I'm in saves me 90%.

Jeff, whats your group save you?

9. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Clapper&Company - Who are you getting your group rate with? We looked at Ohio Lawn Care Association and unfortunately they told us we aren't eligible until July of 2008. Apparently, they mailed the paperwork in February and we didn't start researching until March. But, you are correct, their group rate would save us a TON of money. If you are going through somewhere else, please let me know.

10. mslawn

from LA

Inexperienced people make for great accident issues. What insurance covers medical that is not workers comp., your general liability won't pay for an employee.