1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opti-2 Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EastCoast, Jul 10, 2004.

1. EastCoast

EastCoast LawnSite Senior Member

Any good online retailers that sell Opti-2 oil?

Just purchased a RedMax EB7001 today and the dealer told me not to use it, but I'm not listening.

I think it's a great product.
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

What would the dealer have you use? Was he pushing another oil? I use it and probably couldn't get it any cheaper to be worth the hassle.
  3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I had a Redmax dealer tell me the same thing and I listened. You can bet your ars that if you try to make any warranty claims, they will blame all your problems on Opti-2, rightly or wrongly. I didn't tell my dealer that I'm running Amsoil, if I have a problem with my Redmax, he can do no more than guess what I'm running.
  4. EastCoast

EastCoast LawnSite Senior Member

I thought you didn't listen, but you running Amsoil?

The dealer told me to use Echo oil in everything.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer is an Echo dealer. I purchased a Robin trimmer and an Echo pb750 blower from him, he told me to use opti. I noticed most of the big guys use it too.
  6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I listened because he sells Opti-2. He warned me of some other consequences related to the use of Opti-2, but I'm not 100% sure of his motives. Anyway, I buy the Amsoil elsewhere, so what he doesn't know wont hurt me. BTW I've also heard that if whatever oil you use meets the engine manufactures standards for 2-cycle oil, that they have to honor your warranty no matter what oil you choose to run. I would imagine that you may have to take them to the mat though, to convince them that this is true.
  7. bwalker

bwalker LawnSite Member
    from MI

Very true, but neither opti or amsoil is certified by anyone. Saying you "meet" a spec isnt the same as being certified.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've run opti-2 for years now. I've had no problems in my redmax or stihls. They have thousands of hours on them with opti.
  9. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I was using Opti-2 for a few years in all the 2 stroke equipment and found it to be great. When I used it in my newer Echo blower I found it left deposits on the sparkplug which would cause the blower to run rough. It would get a tiny piece of grit between the electode on the sparkplug. I switched to Echo oil and the problem is gone.
  10. Paul Corsetti

Paul Corsetti LawnSite Member

I run opti in everything from stihl,husk,and my mowers john deere,and gravely ,the jd has over 5000 hrs who knows on the hand held equimpent