1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaybee, Dec 1, 2000.

1. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

I've used this stuff in my trimmers, chain saws, blowers etc. for a long time. I basically put the equipment away for the winter with whatever fuel was left in the tank. Always starts in the spring. Yesterday I was reading the back of the package and it says "contains fuel stabilizer" Never knew that. Must be why nothing has gummed up so far.
  2. Hello Everybody:

We have been using Opti2 for almost 10 years & no problems.

It's a 1 mix for all fuel mixtures, it has fuel stabilizer in it & what I like is it's a smokeless oil. So you do not have to worry about the exhaust port clogging up.

Very reasonably priced, we use it only for fuel to go in all our 2 cycle repairs.

There is also a Opti4 for 4 cycles a very good synthetic oil. It is said that if purchased new & always use this oil that it doubles your engine warranty on the 2 or 4.

What impresses me about it is we have 2 different customers that use it in their 5hp Wisconsin Robin engines. One is 8 years old & the other is 10 years old. They both cut their lawn once a week at least 30 weeks out of the year. Both only do a service once a year & they both have to never add oil to engine. They only change it once a year & that's pretty impressive to me.

It's got my vote & it' the only oil & mix I use in all my equipment at home!
  3. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

What ratio is it equivalent to?? Can you start running it in equipment after they are broken in on something else (ie Stihl 50:1)
  4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I always use Briggs&Stratton fuel stabilizer in all my engines, I have two bass boats i have never fogged the carbs i just use the stabel and it keeps the gum and varnish away. I do start all the motors usually every month.I even use it in my zees, walks, blowers, trimmers year round.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have opti-4 in my 5.5HP honda,and 8 hp briggs,since new and have the double warranty on them both.Both engines run sweet and dont burn a bit of oil,the honda runs the trac-vac,so it gets run hard,so far-so good.
  6. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

To anwer your question about the mix ratio. Nowhere on the package does it state the mix ratio, but that is why they say it is for all 2 cycle engines regardless of ratio. The dealer from whom I've bought 3 different brands of equipment with three different mix ratios sells this stuff and has for a long time. It wouldn't make sense to push a product if the engines were having problems. I have used it in my 28 year old Homelite saw but not that much so as far as switching over from another mix I've been told it is not a problem but from my own experience I can't say yes or no.
  7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

all of the equipt. has different ratios of mixture, and did you switch from using a different mixture ( 40:1, 50:1,ect), and have no problems?
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

it mixes at 50:1 ratio if you measure according to the cup on the bottle.
  9. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

I've been using this stuff ever since I can remember. All the new equipment I bought with the different mix ratios I would use this stuff. My old homelite saw is the only thing I've ever converted to Opti-2

I use the small tubes which mix with one gallon of gas. Doesn't give the mix ratio on the tube.I know it can be bought in different containers which may have more information as to how the ratio is determined.
  10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The pouches are about 72-1. Over the years this oil has been labeled by Echo, Red Max and a few others. I have used it since 1983 and most of the time I have used the bottles and mixed it at 100-1.

It works well but don't use it in big old chain saws because many of them were just set up too loose for a lean oil mixture.

If you have a vehicle that uses injection lube try opti injection oil. It really makes a difference in personal water craft.