opti 4 oil for kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by s and s mowing, Oct 10, 2004.

1. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

i already use opti 2 for my redmax stuff and love it,but i wanting info on the 4 cycle oil.my exmark has 100 hr on it and im gonna do the full service on it myself,good way to spend a couple cold nights in shop and drink a few(pepsi).i did a seach and not too many guys use the opti 4 so i need the info.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I ran opti 4 in all motors for several years. Its been great. I switched to Rotella in the new lazer. If I ever changed from Rotella, I would only go back to Opti. All other motors get Opti 4.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

They still make Rotella? That's the Shell product right? Haven't seen it in years.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sure, its the main diesel and heavy duty oil still on the market. I get it by the case at Sam's.

5. Hoss, Do you now use Rotella in all your 4strokes or just the lazer?

6. I read your message again, "all other motors get Opti 4". Duh, my wife says I never pay attention.

7. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

which rotella you use hoss,i seen 15 40 and 5 40 syn at wall mart tonite.also kohler calls for 10 30,is the 15 40 alright.im also a big lucas fan,and they have the new syn oil stablixer out now,what you think about it.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run the regular Shell Rotella T 15w-40.
    Some Lucas stuff is ok, don't know about that.
    We have been running the Rotella in a new 20 kohler all summer. Works great. The extra additives actually quiet a kohler down.

9. MisterLandscape

MisterLandscape LawnSite Member

I don't mean to get all on a soap box but don't run stuff thats not reccomened! I am a dealer and I promise you this, if you have a major engine failure under warranty most manufactures will require your old engine shipped to them before aprroving a new engine. They will do a test of the oil and look for additives and wrong oil being used in the engine. If they find you have not used the spec oil they WILL reject the warranty claim for the new engine. They are not going to approve a $1,800 or whatever engine job unless they have to. I had it happen not 3 weeks ago on a 24hp Honda. Lucky for the guy we sell alot of machines and ZTR manufacturer forced Honda to give him a new engine but they didn't have to becasue he was running an oil additive in the engine that made the oil so thick that it caused damage to the engine. Engine had oil starvation becasue the oil was so thick it couldnt get to the top of the engine and suffered major damage.

Read the engine instruction book most say specifically not to use any additives in the engine. Also, dont think if you have a failure that you can just put new oil in the engine and change the filter. Alot of LCOs think us dealers are idiots but an oil analasis performed by the OEM will detect weather the oil has been run in that motor and you will be able to scrape sluge from the pan and see if it matches whats in the crank case. Don't get me wrong as a dealer we will put as much pressure on the engine manufaturer to get a customers product warrantied but just realize they are not obligated to warranty somthing unless it is run exactly as stated in the owners manual. So the answer is no to additives. (For some of the folks on the other thread that keep saying dealers are idots and they know more than the dealer, I'd like to know why you now think you know more than the engineers that designed the thing to begin with.) If there was a "majic potion" you could add to an engine and make it last longer and get better peformance don't you think Kawi or Kohler or Honda or whoever would be the first to jump on the band wagon and offer it to you at a price??

steve

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Steve, I would highly suggest you leave your irritation of another thread in that thread. No need to bring the attitude into this one.

What additives are you complaining about? The Lucas or the Rotella with better additive packages in the oil?