1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Optical Illusion?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirty Water, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Is it really that big?
  2. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

yea, its a big Komatsu, prolly a PC1000 or so, I don't know for sure
  3. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

HUGE!!!:dizzy: They probably use it to lift the smaller excavators out when they are done! HA,HA:rolleyes:
  4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

a good guide to looking at excavators like this is the cab most companys use the same cab size. the one in the back is pretty far back but is still a monster
  5. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

Yes that is a PC1000 you can see the name TESTA on the back. They are a big demolition contractor out of Boston. I beleive they have 2 of them. I saw one of them when they were ripping down the Boston Garden. It is quite an impressive machine.
  6. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

WOW.........thats big
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Peter Kiewit bought a PC1100 for a job they are doing in B.C. I think the machine new is million something close to 2 million. The Komatsu rep I talked to says the 1100s are piggy on fuel most of the time you get more production out of two PC750s.

Mass excavators are more for mining than construction.
  8. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

would that be the new highway for the olympics?
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Yes its the new highway construction to Whistler. The digging conditions are so tough they wanted a big machine their plan was to tear out the larger naturally fractured rock. Its to save on some blasting but I think they prolly ended up tearing that big machine apart digging solid B.C.

To move a PC1100 you have to dismantle the machine move it and put it back together. I can't remember what the Komatsu mechanic told me but it was 4 or 5 days assembly.
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'll be driving to whistler in two weeks, maybe I'll get a chance to see it in person.