1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Optimal size mower deck for wide open areas???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BeautifulBlooms, Mar 6, 2007.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

What would everyone consider to be an optimum size mowing deck for wide open apartment areas. Obviously a smaller mower will be needed for around the buildings and sidewalks etc. but in a place that has at least 5 acres of lawn most of which are wide open what would be a recommended size mowing deck?

I don't think I can get the job if I am bidding using only my 52" Ferris IS 1500 Z, I just don't think ot is wide enough, the only problem is if I get a new bigger mower right now this is the only place I will have that would require this large of a machine.

Any thoughts for this quandry?
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with a 72" if you want to save some time and make money. We have a few 4-6 acre properties that we do and you will not believe the difference that deck sizes make.
  3. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

get a 72" deck then bid for commerical or larger residental/H.O.A.
  4. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I agree, going from a 52" deck to a 72" deck will increase your production by about 38% under optimum conditions.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't buy a 72" deck if you only had one or 2 large properties(5 acres) to take care of. A 60 inch will do just fine for that. You may have problems with a 72" on resident properties--scalping, streaking etc
  6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

66" Hustler
  7. BeautifulBlooms

How much total area would I want to be mowing to make the 72" purchase worth while?

I am thinking it would be at least 6-8 hours at one place and the other apartment complex might be worth another 2-4 hours.

Does anyone know how to effectively evaluate square footage by mower deck size? I know every place is different with more trees and turns and stuff but if it was all open area how much can a 72" mower cut in an hour?

As you can tell I am new to the commercial mowing. I have mowed lots of grass in my day in my 10 years on the golf course but have never done mowing for hire to know how fast the mowers can effectively mow or how many square feet per hour can be done.

Anyone have estimates on how they formulate their own pricing?
  8. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Our 72" Toro on average is about 10-13 acres a hour. I might be a little off, I really don't remember the exact number just went off the 580 which is equal to three 72" decks and divided that number by 3.
  9. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, 60 maybe, 66 best solution, 72 for open ares only .IMO do not consider a 72 unless u have plenty of power and diesel is recommended .Does the grass have a rapid growth period eg 2 inches per week . If selecting a 72 deck there r high volume options available from some makers .66/60 best option hustler /exmark with appropiate engine .

10. BeautifulBlooms

If I did the math correctly swampy that means you are travelling at 13 miles an hour? Is that possible with such a large mower or any mower for that matter? I was guessing my z turns will effectively average 5-6 miles per hour thorughout a year. But again that is just a guess. I dont see quality of cut being all that good at 13 miles per hour but perhaps those mowers can handle it a little better??