orange cones?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenGrassEarnsCash, Jun 15, 2005.

1. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

I was mowing a yard today and a guy in a missouri road maintenance truck drove upo and told me that if i wanted to park my rig on the street i would either have to pay a 90 dollar a day lane closure fee or put a orange cone at the front and rear of my rig while on a jobsite. Has anyone else experinced this and if so why is it that all of the carpenters etc, in my neighborhood park on the street all the time and dont need a cone? Just wanted some input! By the way i think i will by 2 cones rather than pay 90 bucks a day.
  2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I use cones. I do it so others will see me and not hit my rig.
  3. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use them all the time. Have six of them.
  4. Geezer

Geezer LawnSite Member

Safety First !!! All our rigs are required to have them. FYI - We have never been approached by somebody trying to jack us for $90 !!!
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I put two out usually. Also, if it's a quick lawn, I throw the flashers on as well. I'm also thinking about a sign that tell motorists to slow the hell down because most of them have no clue what an orange cone means.
  6. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I use one when I park along a heavily traveled street that has curbside parking. I put one at the rear corner of my trailer on the inside of the lane. As far as the D.O.T. guy and his $90.00 fine you can tell him to go pound sand as he as absolutely no right to stop you as only a certified peace officer can stop and make such a statement to you such as that. Anyway you can always ask him if he knows what's orange and sleeps three.
  7. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Inless your in the actual city why waste your time. You won't see that guy again. I went the cone root and all it did was confuss people.
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Here I see a few LCO's use cones, maybe one at the rear gate, but usually not. The ones that use cones here are the utility companies, phone, cable, ect. They actually put them out no matter where they are, even in a parking space in front of a store. Finally I asked a friend that worked for the cable company why they do that. He said that it was their "law". It has nothing to do with someone else seeing their truck and going around it, the cones are there to force them to ALWAYS check in front of and behind their vehicle everytime before moving. Since mirrors only catch things in their line of sight you can't see a small child close to the back of a large pick-up or cargo van. Finally answered the question for me and it's actually very smart.

As for cones for my lawn rig... Not very necessary in my town, unless you are having to stop on a very busy street, and those are even not that busy.
  9. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

We usually put out 2-4 cones at each stop. The hope is people will slow down when passing our rig.
  10. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Never knew about the law change, thanks.

Because we appreciate the backup our legal team at our G/L insurance agency has (good advice = zero claims) - we've always placed 3 at the rig and trailer-gate area, and 5 across the street where our customers are at, if need be. We wear orange vests, too.

If any pedestrian wants to walk right up into our operation, get hurt and press charges & claim - we want to be the first ones hearing the law enforcement officer at the scene say " you saw the oranges cones and vests, why didnt you walk on the other side of the street ??"