Orange, hard berries, shrub-like..what is it?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Oct 17, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I'm having a complete brain fade on this so please help me out. Yesterday I was at one of my residentials and this shrub was blown over by the wicked winds of Wednesday. I looked in all my reference books and I cant find the name of it. Its very common and I cant believe I cant remember the darn name of it.

This particular one is about 10 feet tall, 10 feet across,,,and very heavy. I tried to pull it back by myself to temporarily stake it but it was wayyy too heavy.

Orange, hard berries all over, its habit is like that of a lilac (not the dwarf lilacs), smallish dark green leaves. I need to send them an email telling them we need to fix this but I need to reference the name of the plant. My digital camera was being charged yesterday so sorry no pics...this plant is very common here in the Northeast.

When one of you say the name, I;ll know it....man its a bear getting old and feeble brained. Thanks much .

ps the dran thing is a foundation plant right up against the house. ANy suggestions on how to stand this thing up and get it secured?? With all its weight, I;m not sure big tree stakes will do the job since I cant get behind it because of the house.

2. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

pyracantha

3. GarPA

from PA

thats it Goblin....man that is sooo common...thanks much

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

can you use the screw anchors they use for guy wire on poles I seen them at TSC for $6 for 30 inch one which should hold

5. GarPA

from PA

THe problem I have with it is that its trunk is right up against the house and all the limbs, and weight, are out from the house which is why it blew over. It really needs major anchoring attached to the house but I hate getting into drilling big anchors into the brick mortar. Not sure what I'm going to do...looks like a hassle no matter how I try to fix it.....if its fixable

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

It sounds like its gonna turn into a problem for the home owners also if its that close to foundation, I would suggest removal If its to the point of having to anchor to the house.

7. GarPA

from PA

yes I'm afraid you are right...I've only had them as customers for 2 years and when I came upon the scene I told them then this thing had gotten way too big and was a problem waiting to happen. I need to let them down easy to I will at least try to prop it up with the proviso it likely wont work and may have to be removed. At least they can start dealing with their "grief" now and wont get all ticked off with me when I tell them it has to come out.l

8. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

If it is that close to the foundation it does not have enough root system going out that direction (toward house) to support that much weight.
    I would explain it was planted too close, & I'd be happy to prune it back to a workable size or get a new one and plant farther out. Or since you end up doing the staking and all, one could prune it down to size TRY to take a root ball and replanti it farther away from house to allow more root growth- starting over with it.

9. GarPA

from PA

very good points you make Green...thanks
    I was going to tell them it will need a serious pruning if its going to have any chance of surviving. She will not be a happy camper since I know how much she loves this monster...the more I think about this situation the more I wish I wasnt involved.

10. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just surprised that you haven't mentioned the monster thorns on this beast. That's why most prefer to not be involved with Pyracantha.