1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Orbit head from Home Depo

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Cleanmaxx Brian, May 7, 2005.

1. Cleanmaxx Brian

Cleanmaxx Brian LawnSite Member

Hi all,
    *warning home owner here* When I purchased my house 5 years ago it was loaded with cheap half not functioning toro and rainbird heads. I have switched out about 1/3 of them to the Orbit rotor head from Home Depot. They are like $23 a head or so. They have been working GREAT for me! Never a problem at all. Since I joined this site (a couple of weeks ago) I see lots of the pro's buy Hunter PGP rotors. Funny thing is they look JUST LIKE the Orbits I have been using. In the blister pack comes a white key for adjusting alink with a plastic tree with a BUNCH of different nossels.
    This looks like the heads I have been buying
    Just how bad are these heads? Should I be trying to replace bad heads with the Hunters?
    I did a e-bay search and found these Click here...or here!
    Is this the head of "choice"???

Thanks for your replies in advanced :waving:
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I greatly prefer the Hunter PGP to the Orbits, even though they are nearly identical.

A recent thread here (maybe just a few below this one) discusses this, but orbit seals fail much faster than hunters, and they are generally made with poorer quality materials.

That e-bay auction on those hunter heads is a great deal, coming out at around $6 a head. We pay close to that wholesale for our hunters.

Buy that case of Hunters, and use them to switch out the orbits/toro's/ and rainbirds that fail.
  3. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I relish all those folks putting in the "green stuff" as it gives me a great amount of repair security. Cheap is always a poor substitute for quality.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I see some Orbit rotors, and was under the impression that they were identical to a PGP, except for the rubber cover and the thread-on cap. Since the cap sits atop the seal, any problems with the cap could lead to seal failure.
  5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a bit curious what models of Rainbirds and Toros you had originally on the system?

And... wrong nozzles, incorrect calcs on flow rates, and other things can cause heads not to function correctly, no matter what the brand. For example, if you have six heads on a zone, each with a 4.0 gallon per minute nozzle, then you will need at least a 24 gpm supply. If you only have 15 gpm to play with from your main water service line, then things just aren't going to work.
  6. Cleanmaxx Brian

Thanks everybody!
    Funnny thing, I hit the top of one of my Orbit heads with a snow blower and the green part peeled back and a black rubber or plastic ring went flying! I figured for sure when I turned on the system this spring I was going to have to replace it but it is working perfectly!

Critical, The Toro heads looked very "cheap" in that they weighed next to nothing. Some were rotors while most were basic popups that nolonger went up. The walls were VERY scored and covered in dirt. The Rainbirds were the noisy type that has a big cover that goes up with the mechinism. They would get stuck and just shoot in one direction. I have two that still work fine and I am going to keep them...I kinda like the sound :rolleyes: :p

Being the novice, I would just replace the heads and so far, the included nozel has been fine...they work like a charm! However going forward, it would be nice to know what my flow rates are. The most I have on a zone is 5 heads and I have 8 zomes with a total of 27 heads. This includes a few bubblers in the hedges.

My system looks old and a few heads are in places that make no sense at all (Like a head that should with one zone when instead it is with another) but it works and keeps me from draggin the hose :cool2:

I thought that auction on e-bay looked pretty good! It is more heads than I need for sure though. How long do these heads last? How long should my Orbits last?

Thanks again

PS Jcom, not sure what you mean by "green stuff"...maybe the grean tops of my heads? Anyhow, I can change out heads myself...not to hard to dig around the head and unscrew them and install a new one :waving:
  7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

The Rainbird sprinklers that you describe sound like Maxi-Paw or Mini-Paw impact heads. I've never had too good of luck with the Maxi-Paws, and like you say, they would tend to get stuck. Raindbird does make some fine rotors, however, except for perhaps the T-bird rotors that many complain about.
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

People still use impact heads?
  9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yep. Especially on non potable water systems.
  10. Cleanmaxx Brian

I think mine must be 10 years old! But it is still going...
    Am I the only one who likes the sound? It just sounds like summer to me :cool2: