Orbit Irrigation Systems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lawnspecialties, May 15, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Please forgive me if this is a redundant thread.

Here in the Raleigh area, all I ever see are Hunter, RainBird, and Toro irrigation systems. I recently signed maintenance contracts with two new customers who have Orbit systems. They are new homes with obviously new systems.

Are these systems quality? I consider myself a fairly intelligent fellow but darn if I'm not having the most difficult time trying to reprogram the settings. And that remote control?!! That's a whole other confusion issue to deal with. There are already some minor problems these systems are having but that could be just some kinks needed to be worked out.

What should I expect from these systems? Thanks:)

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

As goes the controller..goes the remainder of the system. Orbit & Lawn Genie
    are the two lowest end clocks made...if your going to take them on as clients,
    replace the clocks with something you don't have to dink with. When I formed
    my service biz years ago, I standardized clocks & always had modules & cards in stock...

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

grab your ankles brah...jk

I Hate orbit rotAr heads.....but thats just me.....Its the chepo Depot verision of the P/G/PGP style heads...
    as for controlers get rainbirds......or what ever your comfortable with..

good luck

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Clocks go down on a fri. afternoon on a hot weekend...I'd rather swap a module & get bak to Genie/Buc beer!

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Orbit parts are generally of not as high quality as the major irrigation manufacturers. That's why they're aimed at the DIY market and the Lower-Despot stores. Your mileage may vary but have good walking shoes when you run out of gas. :)

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Why am I not surprised at these responses on these systems? Rats:hammerhead:

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I am not singing praises for Orbit irrigation products here but I will tell you this. You can go to Orbitonline.com and download the instructions for programing their controllers. That might help you.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Orbit has products that will fail just like any manufacturer. But I see more of their products fail than the others (except maybe Toro). Or maybe not fail, but have problems - PGP knock off rotors stop turning, prebuilt manifold tees with o-rings not sealing (very thin o-ring gets torn/broken), controllers tough to set and adjust. Are the WaterMaster valves sold at HD next to the Orbit stuff, made from Orbit? If so VERY high failure rate also. Stay away from Orbit as much as possible. But don't run away from the customer, just inform them of the quality of product and they may need many repairs over the years.

9. h2oman

h2oman LawnSite Member

Lawnspec.,
    Maybe all you see is Hunter, Rain Bird and Toro in our area because they are pro products. Your situation sounds like a builder install.... This year I have replaced 3 systems (controller, valves, heads) from builder installs...
    They get the lawn company to throw some heads in the yard. So they run to the Depot store and get controllers, valves and heads and put it in the yard. Why not "anybody" can install irrigation (not properly). Hey in that case maybe I should go and build houses, after all "its just cutting wood and hammering nails," right. Had to fume a little there, sorry...
    As far as what to expect from these systems, if it is a builder install, expect dead spots (not set up for head to head coverage), and change out the controller. Get something that works, your maint. contract probably doesn't cover all the times you will be out there "tinkering" with that controller. Also, check the valve boxes to make sure there are no leaks. Cheap controller, cheap vales.