Orbit, lawn Genie, and Water Master, OH MY!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Jason Rose, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well, the title explains the brands being used by a good friend of mine that has recently retired from his job and became a "handyman". I stopped at his house yesterday to see a large box full of Orbit pop-up sprays, Lawn Genie 1" solinoid valves and auto drains, as well as a Water Master controler. I just shook me head in disbelief as he told me that this is the 4th system like this he's installed and was going on and on about his "profit". I told him flat out that everything he was using was JUNK and that it would cost him no more to go to an irrigation supplier and buy Rain Bird and Irritrol. He scoffed and said that he has a system made up of the same components that's still working fine after 4 years. 4 years is not a very long time...

I did my best to try to help him out, but I'm only 26 and he's 60, so I still know nothing to him... I have installed a few systems and have helped and watched one of the best installers in town many times. I Know what's good and bad and have my own opinions of things. Throw some comments my way! I may just be able to print this out and show him just what some of the pros here think about the Home Depot irrigation supplies. I really feel sorry for the people that are paying $2,500 for a system that's going to start to self destruct in 5 years or so...

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Let him do what he wants, just try to get the service contracts on his clients.

Some people are beyond help, and only care about the bottom dollar (ie, everyone in my area).

We've built a reputation on quality parts, and excellent service and no longer need to do any advertising to stay full time busy.

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with Jon on this. If he wants to keep installing crap let him. Just follow him around and drop off a card at each job.

I have several 'contractors' here in the area who I check on weekly to see if they are still in business. They have provided a good source of income for me going around and straightening out their systems.

4. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Does one have to be licensed, bonded, etc. to install systems for others (for profit, I mean)? If so, then how did he obtain such credentials with his attitude?

I don't think one has to be licensed here in AL, but am not certain on this point, will havta ask someone this week.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think any license is needed here. I know he carries liability insurance due to his handyman business.

I guess bashing him wasn't really the point here, I was actually leaning towards getting opinions on the actual quality of some of these sprinkler brands?

I see lemons all the time, even in Rain Bird heads, i.e. R-50's that leak a geyser out the top seal, 5000 series heads with the crap light blue nozzles, VAN nozzels on the 1804's (IMO the VAN's stink). Toro anything... (valves seem ok though) Hard black cut-off risers that crack instead of flexing.

Either way, I'm pretty sold on rain bird rotors. Hunter is non-existant here. K-2 or K-rain is ok if you don't mind the poor water pattern. Valves: Rain Bird or Irritrol. Fixed sprays: Rain Bird.

Just bumping this back to the top, thanks. ~jason~

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I only use VAN's in situations where a regular rainbird nozzle will overspray (corners that are not nice '90s or '45s usually).

The trick with a VAN nozzle is to use a finer screen filter...That keeps them from clogging up.

Also, they have a real bad spray pattern when open more than 270 degree's, but work fine at less.

7. James234

James234 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Wow, you must have a serious water pressure problem or very old heads.