Orbit Pump Start Relay 57009 - Will it control 1/2 or 3/4 HP pump?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by soafone, Aug 29, 2012.

1. soafone

soafone LawnSite Member

It says it is for 1 to 2 HP. Will it work with pumps less than 1HP?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Orbit is not the best PSR; We have two installed on properties we maintain (not my installation) they tend to lag for about five second or so in turning the pump off after the controller has shut down.

For a couple of dollars more, I'd go with the Hunter PSR-22; good for up to 2HP.

3. soafone

soafone LawnSite Member

That's good info! I've used only the Irritrol SR-1 and it works great. The Orbit is attractively priced but I wouldn't want a lag in shutdown. Does anyone know much about the K-Rain PSRs?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

We don't use PSRs here much. Most everyone is on big municipal or private water systems.
    Looking at a new ESP-M yesterday and they had a slip of paper tucked into the manual that was a list of recommended PSRs to use with their controller from various brands.

Can't find anything but their own on the Rain Bird website though. Kind of a secret CYA memo I guess :)

5. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

If you need a PSR, you want it to be reasonably reliable. Why would you look at the low end when for all of $5 or $10 you can get a fairly good one?

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

what he said

7. soafone

soafone LawnSite Member

I had a chance to pick one up cheap but wasn't sure of it would control a 3/4 hp pump. I guess no one really knows.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. wab1234

wab1234 LawnSite Member

Lower amp draw on the pump is fine. The psr would work with no load on the contacts going over on amps is all that matters. No one said it wouldn't work just they would like a better quality part.

9. soafone

soafone LawnSite Member

Strange that the mfr wouldn't specify up to 2 HP, rather than 1-2 HP. Thanks for your help.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There isn't any minimum rating on a relay, as regards motor control, and no one should ever be looking for one.