orchard ladder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Jul 22, 2003.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Anyone know where I can get one in Massachusetts....or have one shipped? How much? I hear they are the best for shrub trimming
  2. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 6' stepladder and a 10' stepladder. I just get these at Home Depot. I did not know what an orchard ladder was, so I looked at http://www.amleo.com . I buy lots of tools from them. They don't seem to have a lot of ladders, but they do have some "fruit-picking ladders", which I assume are the same thing as orchard ladders. A.M. Leonard is a great company to deal with for tools. You can request a catalog on their website or view their catalog online. You can call them or order online.

It looks like these ladders have 3 legs. The description says to use them only on turf or ground and not on hard surfaces. (wonder why?) I can see how these may be useful for getting in closer to shrubs. AmLeo has them in 6', 8' and 10'.
  3. bluemoon7

bluemoon7 LawnSite Member

I'm in WI, and bought one from my local green industry supplier. We have a 12' but we use it to hang lights with. Best ladder money can buy (about $350) You will be amazed at what you can get to with this thing. If you can't find one I'm sure Reinders (were I bought mine) would ship one (or I could) but the it would probably get pretty pricey
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Orchard ladder is a tripod, and the single leg that opposes the steps allows you to place that leg directly into the shrubs, allowing you to usually get closer than a stepladder. Also the leg has no fixed position (no stop, like a stepladder), so it is taboo to use this ladder on any surface other than earth. The leg is designed to sink into the soil an inch or 2, to stabilize the leg. If used on hard surfaces, there is nothing to stop the leg from just sliding out from under you. An OSHA inspector would get a thrill seeing an orchard ladder on a hard surface - citation time.

Orchard ladders come up to 16', and the safe standing height is usually about 4' from top, so you have stability. So you need to figure the height you want. There are only 2 or 3 main manufacturers. Ought to be able to find them with a Google, and contact them for a dealer near you. Don't know if he's still around, but someone used to make one with a telescoping leg, so you could easily use the ladder on a hill.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

That Has To Be The Best thing For Heage Trimming I Have ever Used. Other Then My Sthil.
  6. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

thanks guys
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

At one time you could get one through Ace hardware, well at least here. Of course they don't stock them but they had a big catalog and said they could get any of them in a couple days. Might be worth checking.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Dmk 395
    The Shipping Can Cost Tho, Be ready.
    Hay How Did The Standers Do This Past Wet Spring ?
  9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I won't use a ladder for hedge trimming. Too dangerous IMO. As a solo op and sole income for the family, I can't afford to get hurt. If it needs a ladder, I don't do it. With an extended hedge trimmer and a pole pruner, I've only had to turn down one job this year (16 foot tall and 14 foot wide privet).

I used to use 2 step ladders with a plank running between them. Way quicker than working off of one and safer too. I always put 2x6's under the legs on sod or soil to keep them from sinking in, and cedar shakes for leveling the 2x6's.
  10. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

Landscapers supply in Peabody sells them; however, last year I was looking to get one and they were back ordered. I ended up just getting a 10' fiberglass stepladder at Lowes.