Orchard

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mikegyver, May 21, 2012.

1. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

I know we talked about this on another thread but I figured I should start another separate thread.
    Background- 3-4 year (from when we installed it) orchard with trees from 1 year old to 5 years old. All trees have a 3' "well" around them to hold water. We will be adding mulch after irrigation to help with the water retention.
    1. How many gallons does each tree require per watering?
    2. I am planning on installing 2 bubblers per tree at the lowest GPM (.25 unless we can go with a lower GPM) on 4 or 6" popups or on the end of a 12" riser. Will this work or should I go with a different option? When we dig the hole for the head we will go all the way down to the root zone and then backfill with some type of mulch or other absorbent material.

Thanks in advance!
    Mike

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going to combine a bubbler and a popup head, you can try a combination with the special Rainbird PCS screens, and a 15EST nozzle, or better yet, a 5QB bubbler nozzle, which shoots two streams at a 60 degree angle from each other.

The PCS screens are color coded and will restrict maximum flow to a set value - Rainbird has a chart showing what distances you get with various combinations

3. Mikegyver

Could you provide a link? I am not finding them on the RB site. I was going hunter but I can go RB if its better.
    Would the popup be better than the 12" riser in this scenario?

4. Wet_Boots

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

6. Mikegyver

7. Mikegyver

8. Wet_Boots

If you can have the heads right near the trees, then why not standard bubblers on risers?

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I have no problem with bubblers, as long as the application is even. I've seen way too many bubbler applications where one side of the plant was saturated and the other was dry as a bone.

10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member