Orchard

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mikegyver, May 21, 2012.

1. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

What kind of fruit trees? How many inches of diameter and how many feet of trunk? What's the dripline and what type of soil?

Your local extension can help you with the watering requirements or you can click here

When you say 3' well, you mean dam? Id say you can use a bubbler, if the soil reaches it's saturation point, the dam will fill up and allow the water to perculate evenly to the root zone.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

I am doing 2 per tree.

I'd rather have them below ground to keep them from being an eyesore. Either way is fine I guess.

Apple, plum, pear, peach, perssimon, etc. They are anywhere from 1/2"-2" in diameter. Dripline is about the same as the dam around the tree but varies due to different ages of tree. We are mulching around each tree post irrigation installation so that the mulch can retain the water long after the system has stopped running.
    Mike

3. Mikegyver

Looked at the tech sheet for the 1300. Looks like that was a misprint on that page...the lowest it goes it .25 gpm which is what I have on order anyways.

4. Mikegyver

I am thinking of running each tree zone for 25 minutes once a week. Does this sound right??? I do not want to over water and therefore kill the trees.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you did go to the trouble of rolling your own with the PCS screens, you would have the ability of changing some or all of the restrictors as conditions change.

6. Mikegyver

True. At this point I'm already at 650.00 plus trencher rental so I may or may not do it just yet.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on the soil conditions and the amount of evaporation. You've got to measure the penetration and know the demand of the material. Application specs help, somewhat, but field measurement is the only way to know. :)

8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like a lot of water to me.

If the orchard is new, then the roots won't be deep and maybe once a week is good.

When the trees are more mature and bearing fruit, sounds like too often.

Talk to an ag extension agent if your county or state has one. They can point you in the right direction.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Buy the probe.

10. Mikegyver

I have one..system needs to be in first!!!!

Its only 5 gallons per tree if it runs 20 minutes (.25X20=5).
    Some of the trees are at bearing age. Some are just planted this year because we added a row and filled in the holes where we lost trees to the drought. I will talk to the ag agent but unfortunately do not think they will be much help. But its worth a try.