1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Order of equipment loading?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by K&L Landscaping, Feb 7, 2005.

1. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious as to how most of you guy's load your trailer. I have a 16' open trailer and this is my sequence: JD 757 60" ZTR in first, GD Scamper 52" w/b next and then my 21" trim mowers. Obviously all trimmers, edgers and blowers have their respective racks. Now, tell me your sequence if it is different.
  2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

OK I have a 16 double axle. On first up front on the left is the 36, next to it on the right is the 21, right behind the 36 and blocking the 21 is 52inch, right behind that is lazer 48 inch.Lazer is loading last due to being used the most. Getting another rider this year so the 52 will be the back up so I will have 2 riders on the back. One right over top the axles. Least amount of equipment that is used is loading first. No sense in loading and unloading everything if you don't need to.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The one used most and next is on the back. If I only need the Z, which is most of the time, it is always behind the w/b's. No need to waste time moving equipment around that isn't being used. It kills productive time.
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

if weight distribution is not a concern, then the most used loaded last, at the back, then the progression from most used to least used as you move towards the front.
  5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I set up similar to everyone else. I have a 14' tandem axle. I put my 38" ZTR up at the very front, then my 21" fits along side it, then on very back I put my 52" Z Master, so it is easy to unload. Trimmers have a rack on the side.
  6. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

I don't have the problems you guys are having. I have a 5' side gate as well as the back gate on my 16' trailer. Although i do load my most used scag 61" turf tiger with clamshell bagger system on back since it is the fisrt mower off on most jobs. I can get the scag 48" tiger cub with bagger system off the side gate as well as the 21" push mowers. All my 2 cycle gear has it's own side racks as well as tool racks on sides and cage mounted on front.
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 16 foot trailer with a rear gate only. The 21'' mower is at the front beside the 52'' walkbehind. The push edger is behind the 21'' mower and the tiger cub is on the back behind the walkbehind. Trimmers and blowers have there own racks. I have a plastic tool box on the front of the trailer that has a chainsaw, hedge trimmer and a hand blower stored in it
  8. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Trimmer racks in front for accessibility of any side of roadway we're parked, 54" side gate for walk behind & push, zero-turn is always in the rear.

9. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I plan on loading the w/b first, then the ztr. Until I get a bigger trailer, the 21" will go in the truck bed. Those of you that have a smaller mower you use for a few lawns the larger mower won't fit, do you reload the larger mower while in the backyard? Or do you just pull the key out & let the mower (ztr or wb) sit in the driveway? Just bought a ztr & will need the w/b for a couple of backyards. Thank you for the input.
  10. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I would pull the key and keep the mower in the yard or in the driveway out of the way of the customer. If you have someone else helping you one of try to stay in the front if you are going to leave the key in it. That is if you are using the w/b. If you are using the 21 then definitely put it back on with the gate up. Still take the key though. The harder you make if for someone to ride of with the better imo.