Ordered a new tranny!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 3/4tonTodd, Jan 17, 2001.

1. 3/4tonTodd

3/4tonTodd LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Well, I put in my order for a rebuilt tranny for my truck. It'll be a 350 with a shift kit and a welded torque converter (rather than crimped). I checked around with guys who build their own cars in the area and this transmission guy is supposed to be one of the best.

Anyway, talking to some truck guys, and the transmission guy, I found out that there are possibly two different braces for the tranny/transfer case. One from a motor mount to the tranny, and another from the tranny to the t-case. My truck doesn't have either one of these. Does anyone have a picture on a website they can direct me to? Or maybe a source for getting these parts? Spending $400, I don't want to end up with a cracked transmission case because I don't have a couple of braces that were supposed to be on there to begin with (but have since vanished).

Also, if anyone has any specific advice/tips on ripping that old one out and replacing it, I would LOVE to hear from you! I've never done this on a 4 wheel drive before and I don't want to screw it up or crush the bones in my hands by doing it wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Todd

2. 3/4tonTodd

from Iowa

I guess I was hoping for a bit more response on this. Anyone at all have any info on those supports/braces for the tranny and transfer case?

Thanks again!

Todd

3. mike reeh

mike reeh LawnSite Member

I dont beleive trucks had these braces, Ive only seen them in blazers and suburbans. IMO they are nothing more than a pain in the butt, if the heavier duty trucks dont need them, why should the passenger vehicles? Also I might be wrong but I think that MAYBE only 78 and newer blazer/suburban had em. Again, not too sure about that one.. If its a big deal to you, I can get some pics of those braces.

good luck,

mike reeh

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Ok on from the motor mount to the bottom outside bellhousing to engine bolt there is a brace about 3/4" in diameter, on both sides of truck.
    I believe it also may run along side the passenger side of tranny. I will have to look at the 86 1-tomn we are building to be sure. I have only seen it in 3/4 and 1 ton with auto trannies. Is it needed, I dont know, it it helps with torque bind.
    I am sure there are many aftermarket resources for simliar bracing.
    Dino

5. 3/4tonTodd

from Iowa

I had two different transmission guys tell me about these braces. I guess I'd never heard of them at all until then. One of the transmission guys told me they didn't start using them until 77, and the other one didn't mention a year, just that they were supposed to be there. Mine is a heavy 3/4 ton, and since I've decided to slowly rebuild the thing as a weekend "work" truck (you know, pulling a boat sometimes and throwing mud around other times) I'm thinking I ought to go ahead and put these on. Both transmission guys said that the braces keep the transmission from flexing and the one said the braces were added in 77 to cure a cracking problem they had in earlier trucks (like my 76).

Anyway, there's a decent salvage yard about 40 miles south that I may have to visit to see what I can scrape up.

Thanks guys.

Todd

6. mike reeh

mike reeh LawnSite Member

Welp I've had 2 '77s, one a K10, and now a K20.. I know the history on both, quite extensively, and I *know* they didnt have those braces. I also know at least 2 other '77s, another K10 and another K20 and they both dont have those braces. Both of these owners would definately have them on there if they were supposed to be.

Sounds like they might be a worthwhile investment, if you really abuse your truck. Before I had my first 77 K10, I was driving it in with the original owner, it had stock heavy duty springs and we hit a big dip on someones driveway.. i think we caught some air (not easy to do) and broke the trans on the side, near where that brace would connect. Maybe just maybe those braces would have prevented this.

Seems like as the truck gets older, the entire drivetrain is going to loosen up.. trans & motor mounts, body mounts, etc give a lot more play and that might have been a factor too.

Well good luck and keep us posted on what you do..

mike reeh

7. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

I have pulled a lot of chevy tranny's and the only truck I have had braces on was my 91 3/4 4x. They bolt onto some very obvious holes on the bottom of the bellhousing. My guess is that none of the older trucks had them. As far as getting it out the most important thing is to go and rent a tranny jack. I have tried to do a bunch without and it is about a million times easier and safer with one, doesn't cost much to rent either. The only other tricks are to get the top tranny to engine bolts out you need to use a wobbly on the end of about 6 6" extensions. Unless you have tiny hands you will never get the bolts out any other way. Also don't worry about disconnecting the tranny cooler lines until you drop the tranny a little so you can get the wrench in easier, oh yeah get a good flare nut wrench to fit those fittings or you will round them off for sure. One last trick is to take the starter off and use an impact wrench on the torque converter bolts. Just spin the flywheel with a couple of rags on the teeth until each bolt comes into view. Using all of these tips you can usually get it out or in, in about 3 or 4 hours. Good luck