Ordered my new Hustler 48" FasTrak!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by harmoncollege, May 15, 2007.

1. harmoncollege

harmoncollege LawnSite Member

Thanks to PJ for the info, as well as all the posters here, in helping me make an informed decision.

I ordered the 48" FasTrak with the 19hp Kawasaki. I struggled between the Honda and Kawasaki, but most of the commercial guys I talked to all like Kawasaki, and I noticed the 19hp Kawi on the FasTrak is the same as the one used on the commercial Mini Z, just without the commercial filter.

I'm also having an hour-meter installed. Got an unbelievable deal on everything (from the Tractor Yard in Coweta, Oklahoma).

It should be delivered in the next couple of days...can't wait to try it out! I'll post some pics when I can.

Has anyone used the Super Oil yet???

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Great !!
    Welcome to the family !!
    You will love your mower, it will make mowing fun.
    As far as the Super Oil, it is so new a lot of dealers are just starting to get it in.

Pj

3. harmoncollege

My dealer had heard of it (which was good, because many had not), and he was going to pick some up from the Oklahoma City warehouse, when he picks up mower. It's nice to know that my mower is going to be fresh out of the warehouse!

Is it something like $80 for 6 quarts? That is really high, but I suppose the additional 2-year warranty on the engine is worth it.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It certainly is worth it.

Pj

5. kalel

kalel LawnSite Member

Any feedback on your fastrak? I just ordered the 48 with the Honda motor. My only reason was that I have had many Honda motors and have had no problems. I do have a kawi atv and absolutely love it. It was a tough choice but I went with Honda.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Honda is a top engine also.
    I know what your saying... I have a Kawasaki wheeler and I usually have a FasTrak demo around with a Honda.... best of both worlds !!

Pj

7. harmoncollege

kalel, it was a very tough choice for me as well. I kept going back and forth. The only negative I ever heard about the Honda was that some idled rough in cool weather...but I think that was the ones over 20hp. But like you, I've always had good luck with Honda motors.

I have to say though that I LOVE my FasTrak...and the Kawasaki has started up quickly and smoothly every time. I've only mowed with it about four times...but it is so much fun to use, and the cut is phenomenal. I posted pictures of it in another thread...so you might check those out.

You are going to love your new mower!

8. mowdog1

mowdog1 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I confused about the engine offerings on the 07 Fastrak’s /w the 48” deck. I understand the Kohler is the value engine, but I don’t understand why the Honda is $100 more than the Kawasaki? Every commercial mower I’ve looked at has had a Kawasaki engine.

Taken from the Hustler web site.

Honda
    HP: 18HP
    Displacement: 614CC
    Torque: 31.8 ft. lbs @ 2500RPM

Kawasaki
    HP: 19HP
    Displacement: 585CC
    Torque: 36.6 ft lbs @ 2000 RPM

The Kawasaki is smaller, cheaper, makes 1 more HP and 15% more Torque at 20% less RPM. Why would anyone pay more for the Honda?

I own a 9HP Honda Snow Blower Hydro Track drive and its an incredible machine; I know Honda rules the market in single cylinder engines, but it appears the Kawa is superior in every way for twins. Again, every commercial mower I’ve looked at has had a Kawasaki engine.

I also just read on another post about the Honda being 16.2 net. I know Honda was overrating their automobile engines according to the new SAE spec. I don't have the exact Kawasaki model to see what their site says.

Why is the Honda more?

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good question.....
    It all comes down to preference, Both are great engines.
    Just like everything else with Honda, they are more expensive in all the businesses they are in, cars, vans, 4 wheelers, outboard motors, jet skis, 21" mowers.... etc.. etc...

10. kalel

kalel LawnSite Member

Those torque numbers don't mean anything really since those aren't the rpms that we will be cutting at. Is there info on the two engines' torque levels at the full speed rpms?