Ordered UltraVac QDS today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Nov 14, 2005.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Looking very forward to getting it and using it. It comes in Wednesday. I will definately report back how I like it and if theres anything I don't like about it. Of course its costing me an arm and a leg!

Looking for input from other users on this hoss. A couple guys around here have the QDS, a few have the bag style as well. Buddy got the QDS last year for his 60" Liquid Cooled and loves it, I hope I do as well :)

2. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the ultra vac three bagger and love it..is great on leaves..have never tried the QDS..just out of curiousity how much did it set you back..they wanted around $2,600 at my dealer.
  3. Hizoot

Hizoot LawnSite Member

2600.00 for a bagger? That is unreal and definitely a ripoff. I have a 48"hp, I was interested in the 2 bagger for it, but I think I'll pass. I refuse to pay almost half of what the mower cost for a couple of netted bags, mount and a simple blower assembly. My friend just bought a three bagger with blower for his 595 John Deere and only paid 1200.00 . Same quality...maybe better as it has a pressure gauge built in the tube so you know when the bags are getting full. I refuse to be robbed by a manufacturer. Its obvious, someones getting greedy at Exmark. Bastidges!
  4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

greengiant, woulda been 2400 after tax. I am trading in my Viking belt drive as I don't need it at all. They are giving me 500 for that so total now 1900 after tax.

hizoot, don't you think your friend got ripped off at 1200 for a couple netted bags, mount, and a simple blower assembly? The dump from seat systems cost several hundred more than the bag style (I think about 400-500 more), and a 2 bag system will cost less than a 3-bag. But yes I still think the prices are outrageous... You should quit jumping to conclusions and call your dealer to find out the price of a 2 bag UltraVac. The pressure gauge in your friend's Deere tube is interesting, can you find out more about that maybe pics or something? Thanks. I think you'll find a 2 bag U-V for your HP to be about the same price as your friend's JD bagger. Just call the dealer and ask! they don't charge you to lookup prices!!!

5. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had been contemplating a QDS, but didn't get one. A couple of weeks ago I bought a CYCLONE RAKE...the new "Commercial Pro" size (biggest one). I have been using it for LEAVES. It does have some down side (small items), but OVERALL it is GREAT. It holds 415 gallons...about the same as 13 trash cans. It really grinds the leaves up and packs them in. It is easy to unload, if you have a place to dump them on site. I bought the optional bagger boxes and dump them in my dump trailer to haul off site. Has a 7hp B&S motor that starts easily on first pull. By the time I bought all the options it was around $2,500. It is really saving time & effort on clean ups. Will easily pay for itself several times over this season.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't care what bagging system you buy, I think they are all outrageous in prices. really there isn't much to any of them is there?

I can give you a pic of that pressure gauge thing that john Deere uses. You could easily adapt it to fit any bagger. You would have to drill a 1/4 hole in your tube about mid way up. Then when the grass/leaves start to block the air flow, air is differeted into the capsule/gauge and inflates a balloon inside the capsule. Obviously when the ballon is inflated the bagger is full or near full.
  7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Mike in IN- what are the downsides? Glad you like. A few years ago I had inquired about their product on their website and every spring and fall they send me info packets lol.. i thought about one of those as well but for a few different reasons, it wasn't what I was looking for but if the day comes i have need for something like that you can bet i will look at it again and possibly put one on the trailer.

Mike in IL,
    You're correct, they are all outrageous I very much agree to that statement.
    Yes a picture of pressure gauge would be superb! Thats an excellent idea for a gauge and to think of putting one on it like that is really great. I don't know the kinda PSI we're talking about but I suppose a regular air line pressure guage might work, or at least if it were a low pressure type? Hmm... Eric is thinking... digital tire gauge adapted to work? Hmm... :D
  8. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Eric check at your local Ford dealer for the gauge that goes on the air filter housing of a 7.3 PSD if they sell it seperately from the air box. I think that it would probably work very well for what you would use it for. Shot you can probably find a friend that has a 7.3 that already installed a cold air intake and has this gauge sitting in their garage or shed.

Here is a link to what it looks like.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The thing about the Cyclone Rake, is that it doesn't take power away from the mower, it doesn't put all that ground pressure down (weight of mower AND material) because it carries it itself, and most of all, it hold almost 3 times of what the UV holds (the 3 bag ). This would be even more than the QDS sysytem, since the QDS holds less than the 3 bag. As far as loading the stuff onto a truck with these type (dump) systems, if the material is too heavy, what works is to lay 2 tarps down next to each other - overlapping the edges just a little bit. Pull up onto the center of the two tarps and dump. you can then lift one tarp up (1/2 full) and then the other.
  10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Justin, excellent idea! Wow my Cummins has one of those on the air filter box and I never even thought about it... Yes I have friends with cold air intakes you're right I should ask around I bet that'd work perfect... thanks alot for the idea!

Runner, good idea on dumping onto 2 tarps. I will be doing one of three things, depending on property and needs:
    1) dump at curb for municipal tax-paid-for vacuum services
    2) dump at road/driveway for us to come and pickup with our dump truck and vac (customer paid for)
    3) back onto trailer and dump into loose bedliner sitting on trailer floor (this is what I do for grass in summer). I hook a strap to the bedliner and drag off of trailer, it flips over and dumps! works great. Won't do this for leaves likely but for grass if I have to bag places in spring.

As for the power issue, the 27hp has more than enough power to run itself, my friend has a 27hp 61" Scag with clamshell bagger (spindle drive blower) it has plenty of power, I am not worried about that. One less engine to repair, maintain and start/stop. I do not like that this is extra wear on my electric PTO though but I am always careful to engage and disengage blades as low throttle as possible.
    The capacity comes with a price... the CR is long, and all that weight swinging around back there adds alot of leverage to the machine, making it handle poorly on steep slopes. I dislike the extra weight the baggers add, but it cannot be helped and its not like you're going over the lawn 25 times a season with it like if you were mowing... a few times a season wont' kill it. The CR looks like a great product and as I stated if it fit my needs better I would be very interested. I need something compact, maneuverable, quick/easy to mount/dismount (The CR probably beats a UV there actually), very quick and easy to dump (yes the CR offers more options to empty it, but I only need to dump it on the ground directly), and simple is good, tired of constantly doing maintenance. 3 trucks, several mowers, trailer tires wearing out on the 22' from tight turns in town, last thing I need is another engine. I know the UV will use belts periodically... also with gas prices as they are this is my number one cost. I know it costs to be in business but part of my job is to make sure i keep costs managable and as low as possible to keep profit up. Last thing I need is another engine burning gas at the same time as an overpowered machine that could be doing the job of those two by itself (yeah i know with increased workload the 27 will suck gas, but still better than two to me).

the CR is tempting. at this point i think the UV will suit me better. Hey, post up some pics of your CR in action!