1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ordering 05 F350 Dump. XLT OR XL.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mrusk, Jan 4, 2005.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am orderign a 05 f350 psd flat bed dump at the end of the week. I am stuck on deciding wheather or not i want an XL or an XLT. The only reason i am even considering the XLT is because of the power windows and locks. I priced out both trucks. The difference off the window sticker between the two is 1900 bucks. For the extra 1900 i get the pw, pl, 40/20/20 bench seat, cruise control,power mirrors and alittle nicer interior. All the other options are the same. I will be the sole driver of this truck for atleast a year. This will be a work only truck, no personal use. How much of a pain will the roll down window be for plowing?

Give me your thoughts please. I am leaning towards the XL, however my dad thinks i am dumb for not spending the extra money for the extra convince.

2. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

I enjoy power windows b/c you can easily adjust them for special ocasions. No I dont think it is work $1900 but it is nice. I would probably go with XL unless I had enough free cash.
  3. caz1

caz1 LawnSite Member

go with the xlt heres a example your in your truck when someone walks up to the passenger side to ask for a price to do his lawn well instead of leaning all the over you just have to hit a button. maybe stupied to think of it that way but a can't stand having to reach a cross the sit to role down the window
  4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

XL, its a work truck
  5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with the XLT
  6. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If I'm not mistaken you can order the power windows/locks as an option on the XL, or at least I know thats the way it used to be.

For your purposes, I'd get an XL, but first see if the windows and locks can be special ordered on the XL. Your other option would be to order an XLT, but delete all the extra stuff you don't want, therefore getting the XLT appearance group, but only having the power windows and locks, but still have the hose out floors and vinyl seat.
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Myself I like the simple manual locks and windows sure I would like to have the other XLT trim but this is a work truck I definatly wouldn't want carpet on the floor. With the power windows and locks you have more electronic crap to go wrong with the truck.

As for buiding a dumping flatdeck on a F-350 what are you plan on carrying ?

I know they have beefed up the newer F-350s but still by the time you add the deck and hoist your payload is probably going to be 4000lbs. I have considered going back to a older F-350 97 and earlier but decided against it there is no replacement when it comes to a F-450s 15,000lb gvw.

Its your decision to spend the extra bucks on a XLT truck but I don't think you really need a truck with power windows and locks.
  8. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I 2nd that !
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ordered the same truck a month ago and the decision was simple, XLT when your spending almost 50 k for a 1 ton truck whats another $1900 to have a few luxuries? And like my daddy always said "it only cost a few dollars more to go first class"

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I got my mind made up on the XL i am pretty sure. If all goes well, i'll be running more than one crew next year and will just past this truck on.

Gravel Rat- I am going with a ABC 9.6ft flatbed dump with removal sides. I know my payload will not be the greates but i don't care. I know i won't be able to haul alot, however landscape companies don't make money hauling materials. For the money i saved over a F550, i can have my local yard make about 150 deliveries for me. I do not care how tough you guys think 550s are, if you load them to the max everyday they won't last forever either. As i get bigger and run several jobs at once i'll buy a single axle dump truck and hire a full time driver.

I decided with the dump flatbed because i knew i'd beat the heck out of a pickup bed, and i can haul alot of mulch, brush, and light stuff with it.

By the way, with the XL, OTD i am going to be around 41-42.5k.