Ordering fom the manufactuer?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jimmyburg, Feb 23, 2009.

1. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

2. If they sell direct to you and I'm a supply house I eliminate them as a source.

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I looked into it some time ago.

Size of the order typically required plus shipping charges (if its not close to you) makes it a no brainer to stick with your supply house. Many wont even sell to you, as an individual.

4. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I needed one of their lids last year and couldn't find it at a supply house.
    Lowe's had it, though.

5. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

I see they produce the classic green nipple. Maybe this is where John got his...

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I used to see 'skinny' valve boxes in the Rainbird catalog, including an extend-a-box version for longer manifolds. Wish I could find those again, for old installs where no one planned for valve boxes in the first place.

7. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

u talking about the add-a-box?

8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Depends on who you ae calling a "manufacturer".

I'm pretty sure that everything that Irrigation Direct sells is made in a Chinese, Indian, or Mexican factory... but I don't think they own the factory, so are they manufacturers? or are they "Manufacturers In Name Only?"

Obviously, stuff is made to their specs, and for the most part (not always), I've been happy with their QA, and their customer service has been top notch.

It's a different business model than the majors, and cuts out distributors... but in the long run, is that a good thing or not?

I like having a couple of distributors to pick from, and the smaller one refers me to a lot of work... if I were to shift all my higher profit (to them) purchases to I. D., then I'd probably be screwing myself in the long run...

9. !/2 by 6" three way cutoff. Hip Hip Hooray

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Could be. I don't remember the name. I run into old installs where the valves can't be serviced, or manually operated, because you'll have a single long row of valves, placed so close to the foundation that only a straight-sided box will fit.