Ordering T-shirts - Don't use South Horizon

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithers, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

I just want to tell everyone my experience with South Horizon...a company in Houston, Texas that has amazing prices on t-shirts.

Checked out their site, the prices were like $3.45 for a light color shirt (awesome price). their setup fee is $40. their darks were a little more, like $6 or so.

Anyway, contacted them via their "instant message" tool and got nothing.

Called them 3 days later, and the guy that answered the phone, Nick, said that they were INCREADABLY bussy.

anyway, took 3 weeks sending a design, coming up with the size of the sign and every time i called the same NICK answered. if i had a question regarding my logo, he said, "It's in the graphics" deparment, if i had a question regarding timing, he said, "need to talk to "shipping department"....

i must have called 10 times before i actually ordered the shirts, and it was just him answering the phone and acting like their were a 500 people company.

He did not make suggestions on the shirt sizes nor the blend.

I got total of 36 50/50 blend shirts, in order to get the best deal. ( i am small operation...my wife and me but wanter a lot of extras).

they came, finally, and the 20 were too small. i wear small shirts and went with what the actual sizes were on their site, but it was too small...

20 were too small and 50/50 blend SUCKS. never again a 50/50 blend.

emailed him, nothing. called, nothing. one day i called and he answered (they were busy before, he said) and he said that my problem is in the "Finance department"..trying to work things out......

i am sure.....

i spend $282 on 36 shirts that are too small and feel like i am wearing nylon.

he could have send me 1 small, 1 large shirt and i would have picked the right siez....since it was my first time, i did not even think about it. but he should have offered.

POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. never again.

it's been 1 month since....and never heard from him again.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Wow,
    Amazing how different people will have different experiences.
    We ordered two separate times from them. Two different years. Both times they were flawless and quick. The shirts are good quality, we bought Hanes, I got mediums, Matt got XL, and they both fit just like any sized mediums and xlarge should fit.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear about that George. I know you've heard it before.. "If it sounds too..........................." blah - blah - blah

I am very fussy about what clothes I will wear. They must look and feel right... especially in our line work (at least the feel right part). I bought mine locally for this reason. 100% pre-shrunk cotton baby!!!

I paid $200something with set up for a dozen.. and it was worth every penny.

4. Smithers

it's ok, tom...thanks though.

i am more upset about the lack of customer service than anything else....i mean, i bend backwards for my clients and i have only 4 right now. but people like that jerk have hundreds of clients.

i mean, he has an ebay store for crying out loud.....and yet, i have not gotten a single call for lawn care yet this year.

this pisses me off. idiots have more clients than they can handle, and people like me can't even get one.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

As for the 50/50 blend, I'm not sure I quite understand. Why did you order that then? They have 100% cotton shirts listed right on their site. Didn't your wife explain the differences between 50/50 and 100% cotton. Can they really be blamed for that?

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know what you mean George...I ran into a problem similar to that with a different company in regards to a graphics design. I waited over 1 1/2 months. During those 1 1/2 months was a nightmare. Phone calls, emails, voice mail, etc. to try and reach them and sort out problems. And every time they made promises that were never kept. Finally I took my business elsewhere

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't believe living in the Detroit metro area you couldn't get someone local to establish a relationship with. This way you can look at proofs and if you have problems they're right there.

We have a local guy do our clothes. Their awesome and I don't even bother searching around the Internet for better prices. Last year we spent about $2800 on items, about the same the year before. I would imagine it will be more this year. T-shirts are $9-10. Sweatshirts about $16, and hooded sweatshirts are $29. They do a great job and I spend zero time with any problems. They do it right the first time.

Just like I do local work, I work with the local people as well. Try to keep money in the community. Why give it to some jag-off in another state.

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I got great service with a local person, but got raped on the price. I ended up paying like $500 for something like 30 shirts.

Next time im getting my shirt made from a different local person, the printer up the street, hes a steller guy, him and his wife own it, the printing shop, great prices and great service. 5000 flyers full size 8x11 was like $125 for 5000, thats a really reasonable price if ya ask me. Plus I cut his lawn for 3 weeks and got 1000 free business cards and 300free invoice slips, and his lawn only took me like 8min each cut. WHOOT WHOOT. Im going to him for everything I need done that I cant do myself, printing wise.

George If you ever need anything I can get you his number.

9. Smithers

not for that,but they (he) could have said.........."u are outside all day in the summer...will be hot and shirts will not absorb much".

my wife did not know... she was busy so i handled everything.

10. Smithers

i was too cheap. stupid me. they were asking at a shop here about $9-13/ shirt

:angry: :realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.