Oregon Blade grinder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by twwlawn, Nov 21, 2004.

1. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

The blade grinder I have been using died today. I have no idea what brand it is, got it from my Dad years ago. Just wondering how the Oregon blade grinder model 88-023 holds up. Can get it for 269.99 on ebay. I know about the Mag 8000 & 9000 models, the price is up there. What are the pro's and con's on the Oregon model, are they worth it or do get what you pay for.
    twwlawn

2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the same grinder from the same place (Russo out of Chicago). I love it as it does everything I will ever need in a blade sharpener. Russo are very satisfying to deal. Great pricing, prompt delivery and even a thank you card the next week.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Which ever model you look at, just make sure that it will handle the length of your blades.
    Oregon makes one model (that I know of) where the space between the grinding wheel and the housing is too short, and doesn't allow you to sharpen the whole length of your cutting edge.
    Not sure which model # it is, but I think it's their cheapest one.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

5. twwlawn

Thanks for the info. What is the length between the housing and grinding wheel? Can you sharpen curved mulching blades on this model?
    Thanks
    twwlawn

6. twwlawn

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I got my Oregon grinder for $220 at the local dealer. Took me awhile to get used to it, so I didn't like it at first. Now I LOVE it. Go with the Oregon, they are cost efficient and are capable of doing a great job. Good luck.

8. twwlawn

Thanks. How long have you had yours? Same model as what I am looking at? What was it that you had to over come to be efficient?

twwlawn

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Not sure of the length between, but just e-mail the ebay seller and ask. Then check your blades. You'll probably be ok, because I looked at ebay, and it looks like they aren't selling the cheaper one anymore.

As far as doing mulching blades, you'll have to freehand it, which is pretty much what you do with any blade grinder anyway (even the one from Magna-matic).

Btw, concerning the home made jobber that I linked in my earlier post, that one is adjustable so that you can maintain the proper beveled edge.

10. twwlawn

Waiting on a reply from the seller, it seems it takes forever to get replies back, that is why perfer to ask the owner who has one hear on LS. Get a better responce plus pro's and con's. The homemade jobber, I had something close to that, worked alright back then.
    twwlawn