Oregon Blade Sharpener

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by craigs lawncare, May 4, 2004.

1. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Since the places around my area are all charging $4 per blade for sharpening, I decided the purchase of a blade sharpener would pay for it's self in about a year.
    This brings me to my question.
    Does anyone have/use Oregon Blade Sharpeners?
    What do you think of them?
    I'm not ready to spend half a grand on a blade sharpener but Oregon has one for about $275.00 that looks pretty nice. It has a 1/2 horsepower motor on it.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Have you considered a bench grinder?
  3. craigs lawncare

Actually, yes I have but I cant get that nice smooth edge with a bench grinder like can be had with a blade sharpener.
    I cant think of the name of the company but someone actually makes a device that can be mounted to a bench grinder. It gives you a flat surface to steady your mower blade. Now I don't know how well that would work, but it would be a cheaper alternative.

4. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I haven't tried it yet but the best cheaper alternative method I've heard is putting your blades in a vice and using and angle grinder on them, with a carborundum fabric backed disc.
  5. craigs lawncare

C Man,

I would imagine if you had a very steady hand this could work for you. Personally, I want a nice smooth cut. I think a good blade sharpener would make your blades last longer because you don't have to take as much off when sharpening.

6. craigs lawncare

It's hard to believe no one has an Oregon blade sharpener that could comment on how they like it's performance.

7. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new Magna Matic. I know this doesn't help with your question but the result is the same. Th edge from a properly finished and balanced blade is worth every dime you will pay. I purchased both the sharpener and balancer factory direct for 799. I think you can get them for less from other sites. I would definately purchase a balance with you unit. That alone helps the ease of cut and the wear on bearings and spindle shafts.

Just my 2 cents.

8. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a bench vise and a block to lay the blade on with 2 bolts and wingnuts to secure the blade, very cheap and easy and I have a Makita 4'' grinder and I have no problem getting great edges.

However....as I would love a better system import costs prevent this, but a company that sponsors this forum called
    http://www.magna-matic.com/ makes a great product by the looks of things.

I hope you get more feedback about the Oregon sharpener, I'm keen to hear the feedback too.

Good luck,
  9. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member

A vice, an angle grinder and a nail on the wall for balance.
    KISS always the best!
  10. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

You might be able to get a half ass sharp blade with a vice and angle grinder but the nail on the wall for balance is one of the biggest industry mistakes IMO.

You can only imagine the short and long term damage a bad blade does on your mower and productivity.