Oregon fusion blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuck bow, Jan 30, 2007.

1. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

any input on these blades , are they any better than the standard and are they pricey compared to regular blades

2. Hard Worker

Hard Worker LawnSite Member

Where can you buy them on-line?

3. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

i think mowpart.com

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a set at agrisupply.com. They don't look much different than standard blades. I wonder if the extra $5 /blade is worth it?

5. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

I have used a couple sets for 60 in. lazer.I think they are worth the extra money. Just wished they made them for a 72 in.:confused:

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

All they are are blades with marbain edges, aren't they? I don't mean it like that's ALL they are, but this is what they are, aren't they?

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The fusions are different than the Marbian blades, at least they are made by different mfgs. Here's a link to the Oregon Fusion blades used on the Dixon mowers. Fusion Blades

Ive used them for the past couple years. The price for the ones for Dixon mowers is not that much higher, about $10 a set. Do they last longer, stay sharp longer? I think they do, sorta. The "fusion" part is a strip at the edge of the blade, you can see it on the bottom side of the blade. The strip is only about 3/8" wide and runs about 2/3 the length of the cutting edge. Once that blade has been sharpened X number of times the Fusion part is gone. It seems that when they are new they do stay sharp quite well, and once they have been sharpened past the fusion edge they seem to dull a little faster. Of course ANY tempered blade is going to dull slowly at first and then dull more quickly after each sharpening.

If you insist on razor sharp blades all the time and usually sharpen every day or every other day, as I do, then I'm not sure if the extra $$ for the fusion blades is necessary.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

THis 10 minute max for editing is a PITA!!!! Here's the correct link for the fusion blades: fusion

9. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

Fusion blades have a harder metal edge "fused" to the cutting portion of the blade. Their studies show that the metal is 40% harder and thus will stay sharp longer. We have sold a few sets of these with no complaints. Follow the link below to the manufacturers info.

Mike

http://www.oregonchain.com/OEP/pdfs/FusionBrochure_1.pdf

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a reason that Hustler and Exmark are putting them on their new units. Of course one of the reasons is that takes them off the aftermarket so they can make more money. Great blade and well worth the price.