1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oregon, need state license to repair heads.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdvaden, Mar 9, 2003.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I just registered today on this forum.

In case some lawn care professionals were unaware, in Oregon, you need an Oregon Landscape Contractors Board license to repair more that 3 sprinkler heads.

Also, to move heads, winterize, or change heads.

That work can't be advertised without that license either.

Many lawn company owners do not know this.

I don't know what Washington, Idaho or California folks need, but that's the way it is for Oregon.
  2. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Love Oregon, have thought about checkin out the scene. Being licensed isn't the worst, can keep out the riff raff. Done need one to mow do ya?
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm assuming that this requirement is to protect the water supply.
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, it would boil down to the water supply in one fashion.

The landscape board had to work with the plumbing board to get irrigation and backflow preventers (LIBDI) for landscapers.

If there was no limitation, anyone could do it.

So the landscape board allowed a small exemption, intended for a mow outfit to replace heads broken my mowers or boots, so they don't have to dish out a big repair bill.

On the other note - no, in Oregon, mowing people will not need a license with the board to do business. In fact, its almost to an extreme.

It may do well for maintenance to have a smaller license, or smaller turf test to keep some of the migrants out.

To plant, you need to pass the test. And its not easy. In fact, I would not be surprised if 1/2 the landscape architect graduates did not pass it first time through.

My personal opinion, is that the landscape test may be a bit too thorough. But it is a fair test.

The Oregon Landscape Board site is:

www.lcb.state.or.us ( I think that's right )

A search will bring it up too. It has study materials, a sample test I think, the rules, laws, online license check, FAQs, etc.