1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Oregon or Magna-Matic Blade Sharpener

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguy27, Mar 17, 2012.

1. lawnguy27

lawnguy27 LawnSite Member

Ok, so I'm looking into blade sharpeners and I was wondering if it is really worth it to buy the Magna-Matic vs. the Oregon Sharpener? What's the difference you guys notice between the sharpeners? Any input would be appreciated! Opinions, pictures, anything!! Thanks!

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm sure the magna matic rep will chime in so I'll tell that for everything that rep said in how it compares with the oregon, I went with the magna matic.

I did check the oregon myself and just by reading what there website said and seeing the picture, I don't think much of the oregon vs using a bench grinder or drill attachment.

the magna matic is a way more solid machine. there's also no way you can mess up your cutting angle. it also sharpens the entire cutting edge. it is designed to keep the sparks and shavings away from your arm and hand as well.

3. lawnguy27

Thanks! Anybody else?

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been using a grinder for so many years that by now I will out perform any blade sharpener

5. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

Magna-Matic 9000!

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought same thing I ran a hand grinder from 1985 to 2010 Bought me a 1.5hp Oregon Blade Sharpener
    I only wish I had one at the start It would save a lot blades and time its so much faster with the blade sharpener and anybody can run it

7. lawnguy27

Thanks for your opinions! More is very appreciated!

8. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

Own mag 9000--used lesco, oregon, and the bench grinder and the mag is the way to go. there is one other high end brand my dealer has and it is more or less automatic, but big money--convenient though

9. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

Check out a bradley blade sharpener on ebay. i have had mine for years. works very well and is very affordable, around $250 shipped.......

10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't understand the comment about not being able to mess up the blade angle on the Magna matic. Yes you can. If you don't have the wheel down all the way to where it almost touches the rest, your angle will be different than if it was all the way.

Now, that being said, I have only had mine a month or so, so I am still getting used to it, and haven't sharpened that many on it, and the ones I did try to sharpen took forever. the ones I did try to sharpen were the fusion type blades.

I just bought 3 new sets of blades last week and will start sharpening them this week. I hear that normal blades will be much easier. I can't find anything on how to actually set the wheel for the correct angle, so I could be doing it wrong.

I used a neary for 5 years and a foley for a while before that. Never used an oregon, though.