1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oregon or Magna-Matic Blade Sharpener

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguy27, Mar 17, 2012.

1. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

you have the wheel too low and you aren't getting the blade in far enough to take a bigger swipe. It takes some practice, you do have to pay attention you can booger up the angle
  2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

If the blade goes higher, it takes off more at the top (not the cutting edge) of the blade, and gives the wrong angle. Being all the way down gives the closest to the 30 degree angle. It just has to stay there. the slightest adjustment of the wheel up will change the angle. the first couple took a while to get the feel for it, but now its just I am trying to sharpen fusion blades...takes forever....
  3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

for those setting the angle you raise the wheel up and lower it until it matches your blade. depending on the angle you might have to cut into the "work table" to get the angle. that's what I had to do.

this is what I was told when I called magna matic. otherwise you can just grind your blades to the preset 30 degree angle.
  4. flynnlandscaping

flynnlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from nj

I had a Oregon and was not impressed at all from talking with guys in the industry they say the Magna-Matic is the best sharpener money can buy
  5. LaLawnGuy

LaLawnGuy LawnSite Member

Have MM 9000, couldn't be happier! Oregon is ok, just not in the same class, IMHO.
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

the magna matic is probably the best but the cost is way up there compared to the bradley blade sharpener i got on ebay for $200 shipping and all. the bradley is basically the same as the oregon sharpeners with 1/2 hp motor and reverse switch. they are cheaper than the oregon sharpeners though.
  7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I second this. I can not see the point in the MM and the cost ....ESPECIALLY now reading that the angle may or may not be correct....that you have to set....which I always thought was one of the selling points of the MM that you would not have to second guess if the angle was correct....Now I know.
  8. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Glad to hear you are still liking yours....I did not think you would be disappointed at my suggestion to give the bradley a chance.
  9. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

Now let me ask this question. Balancing. How important that a blade is balanced properly? If you sharpen it and it knocks off the proper balance, I know it can cause quality of cut issues. Does any one ever balance or even worry about it?
  10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

depends on who you talk to.

some will probably swear that's it's an absolute must each time you sharpen. some will say it affects the cut qualit. others say you save fuel with balanced blades.

every now and then i'll throw the blades on a screw driver handles to see how look but not every sharpening. not even every month.

my cut quality is always good. as for the fuel I'm not sure balanced blades will save you that much to make it worth doing all the time.

when I do check they are never that unbalanced maybe by a hair.